MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've been half-assedly considering getting a Spyder as a daily driver over the last year or so, but the <don't kill me> appearance is probalby my biggest roadblock.

Then I was looking through (I think it was this mag, I don't care for most of them) Super Street last month and it had a column called "wishlist" or something. He had a spyder on there, and said that he would love to build a widebody spyder, since it was one of the only cars where EVERY body panel is removable. This really caught my attention, because I guess I never realized that the rear quarter panels were removable! Can somebody verify that for me!?

If that is the case, I am much more interested in the spyder as a daily, since I will simply bolt on a widebody kit. Before you surmise that I am full of it, I have built/owned two full MKII widebodys previously, so I'm well aware of what is involved. The biggest problem with the MKII is the rear quarter panel being molded in - the seam is nearly impossible to blend smoothly.

Can somebody link me to pics and the manufacturer of the widebody kit for the MKIII? I searched and found this link (http://www.texas2s.com/MR2BodyKits/) but I can't tell which is just the standard "widebody" kit, akin to the TRD TRD2000GT available for the MKII. The "monocraft" looks the closest to what I've seen in magazines and in person, but I'm wondering what is the best fitting, and if there is the whole replica vs. authentic to consider here.

Finally, I'm looking for an install process or some pics at least of a widebody with all the panels removed.\

Thanks for all your help!!

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
I've seen 2 widebody MKIII's in the past and they all sort of had the same general shape. One had a bunch of vents cut up in it and the other was pretty clean. I'm not aware of any "standard" MKIII widebody kit, but then again, I'm not into them.

I also read somewhere that the rear panels were removable. I think it was motor trend or car & driver.

·
Master of Twos R Us
21,767 Posts
It's true - The quarters bolt on. The WBK for the Spyder generally follows the JGTC body and look like the Monocraft on the page you link to. The TRD Spyder at NA2005 had this type of kit on it.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
David Hawkins said:
It's true - The quarters bolt on. The WBK for the Spyder generally follows the JGTC body and look like the Monocraft on the page you link to. The TRD Spyder at NA2005 had this type of kit on it.
Interesting. Yes, the ones I've seen in magazines (and I guess in person in Topeka) is the JGTC style.

Can anybody recommend the best fitting/best price "JGTC style" body kit? Has anybody documented a rear quarter removal and install? I'd really like to know what it looks like under there when the rear quarters are removed!

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
I took me about 2 hours to completely install a widebody kit on a Spyder. Just unbolt the stock panels then fit and bolt on the widebody kit. The hardest part is making sure all the gaps are correct.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
mow said:
I took me about 2 hours to completely install a widebody kit on a Spyder. Just unbolt the stock panels then fit and bolt on the widebody kit. The hardest part is making sure all the gaps are correct.
got any pics? i'd like to see what it looks like.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
mrazntre said:
got any pics? i'd like to see what it looks like.
Sorry not my car. It was a replica monocraft kit.

My spyder is widebody but with a veilside kit.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
mrazntre said:
oh it doesn't matter as long as it's a widebody.
The pictures of my car have been posted on here before. I'm sure you can find some if you search. But here are a couple more.

·
Round n round we go
3,030 Posts
NEX~GEN said:
Hey Mow how hard is to install the fortune kit?
But is does require some trimming in the wheel arches. Also there are pieces that are glues to the door. You need to strip the paint off the door to make sure they stick well. It also has fiberglass pieces that go above the rear wheels and protect the quarters from debri and water. These require time to install but no other kit has them.

It's harder than the monocraft, apr, or BRS kits but could still be done in a day.

·
Premium Member
11,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
NEX~GEN said:
Hey Mow how hard is to install the fortune kit?
Reminds me of Super Troopers, "hey, meow" ;)

Back on subject, doesn't anybody have more info on this? It seems there are sooo many widebody MKIIIs running around that somebody must be able to give me some info :(

Can the person that installed one in two hours shed some more light on that? Just bolting on an MKII wbk generally would take at least 10 hours, including removing the OEM panels. Then you have to modify them. The entire process usually takes months to get everything tof it and look right, then of course prep and paint.

J

·
0 Posts
thanks... yeah it didnt go over good...its the kind of thing you love or hate.. pdont really do it jsutice ...ever... it looks nice in person..

i appreciate it...alot of work went into it..me and mmy best friend did the body and paint ourselves.. big project, but good results..i honestly dont know why, but alot of people dont recegnize it anymore... soemtimes even people with mr2s... i think it still looks like a mr2... some people are jsut weird i guess...

the thing with the bandoh kit is, since people only see pictures..whcih usually look horrible..no one has is... but that makes it better for people with it.. its differnt..

widebody installs are easy on an mr2 if you get a good fitting kit.. alot of replicas dont fit good ..mostly because it replaces everything except for the doors and hoods... if you look at my progress pics youll see exactly what it replaces.. the veilside also has a piece on the door as well.... if you know aht your doing it doesnt take long... if your new at it...it might take a few days... but replicas are hard to line up ..and on a car shaped like an mr2 (any year) you want it to be perfect..

1 - 20 of 26 Posts