MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Basically, it goes "tick" and nothing happens. And the lights dim like they would normally when you first try to start the car.. and then you stop and the lights get bright again... it doesn't even try to turn over..

The "ignition" relay (?) was replaced, with no luck. The relay in the truck.. the green one was crossed manually with no luck..

I can't push start it to test because it is on jack stands because I have replaced the power steering rack and haven't bled it yet.. and can't until I can start the car.

The car wont start if it is being jumpstarted either.

It doesn't seem as if the starter is getting power.. I don't hear it trying to do anything. (I don't know if the starter is getting power.. I don't know how to test). If I hook a battery straight to the starter it just spins and doesn't start the car...

Any more ideas? It's difficult to even get it to the shop because I can't let it down until I bleed the steering rack...

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
mr2_fanatic123 said:
check your ground wires? same sourta thing happened to me with my mk1 and thats what the problem was. gl
I think I checked them... and they seem fine? The wire that goes to the starter on the battery is connected also.

·
Registered
2,198 Posts
mr2_fanatic123 said:
check your ground wires?
For me, it turned out that the ground wire from my ecu to the metal in the trunk was loose/bad. Rewired the ecu ground wire and made a new ground. Starts up fine now. I was thinking of everything else(ignition coil, plugs, fuel, battery, starter, etc.)as to what was causing my start up problems... turned out to be just a simple wire!!!

·
Registered
411 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DoorsWideShut said:
you checked all fuses and those are all fine? how long did you leave the car with the working battery connected to yours for?
Yes. And for a while.. I have tried another battery that was fully charged also.. charged mine several times with a charger.. none of which as worked

·
Registered
171 Posts
Hya joshts0,

This happened to me two days ago..did all the things you have but no success. On checking the electrical diagrams it turns out that if you have the Toyota anti theft alarm fitted it can be armed with no indication. What the theft detterent ecu does is switches the earth to the starter relay coil not the live so bridging the live on the green relay in the trunk wont work.

I did a search on the UK forum and the solution was to shut the drivers door and using the key lock the doors by turning the key towards the front of the car then turn back towards the engine bay all the way, this arms and disarms the immobiliser..then get in the car and start it..worked for me.

Failing that to overide the imobilised starter relay you need to earth the small white wire with black stripe going to the green relay.

Hope it works fella....Bob

·
Registered
1,983 Posts
Check to see that the main starter cable has power. It should always have power, regardless of key position, IIRC.

I had a similar problem and it turned out that the connection for the starter cable at the battery was loose. The + terminal on the battery has two cables going off of it, one is for the starter and the other is for all your other electronics.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts