MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

81 - 100 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Svx92 said:
What rear diffuser are you running Arizona?
I made one from T60 aluminum. Its just like the Lotus Sector 111 version or pretty close anyway. I have a vertical TMIC as well, so its a aero/scoop package deal. I'm sure it all has to be sealed to be 100% effective, totally agree. I'm just curious if what I made works. this is from last fall and I now have 6 turn buckles holding it and a custom exhaust that's not quite finished..but the idea is :) Next is, I use this for a mold and carbon fiber it.. :thumbup :thumbup

Also, don't bash me to bad, but I painted it flat black and it chips super easy from the tires, so wrapped it with 3M carbon fiber material. Kinda cheesy, but you can hardly see it.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Can you please run a simulation with a flat under tray that completely closes off the engine compartment so only the side and top vents provide air circulation?

Thanks.

Here is a picture of how it is done on the Ford GT. It surprises me that they used a "golf ball" like surface in some areas.

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #87
Nope, not dead. Its just a project that I work on when I have spare time / get bored :)

·
Registered
384 Posts
Hey gents, deseroner posted up this link for some wheel well splitters. http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?p=4661979#post4661979 Any chance you could plug those in and see if they make a noticeable difference? Seems like they would be pretty straightforward to fab up.

I saw that you did a couple of front air dams as well, any chance at doing something like those speedflaps? Like these http://www.emspowered.com/storefront/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=207 Always kinda wondered the feasibility of running some speed flaps for the rear wheels as well.

And lastly! http://mr2oc.com/showthread.php?t=418107 The holy splitter! Pretty please?

-D

·
Registered
640 Posts
Seem's like Alex is the only one with a solid model. Hopefully he share's it with people interested in doing more simulations.

On the wheel well splitters, more than likely they will have no benefit on a production vehicle. A ton of emphasis on front aero parts on race cars is how they affect the air at the rear of the car. The function of them probably to affect how air flows over the rear of the car and not to direct air around the wheel well opening.

I could be wrong, I just get that impression because the sample pic's for it are all of like GP cars.

·
Registered
384 Posts
That's possible as well. I would have guessed because they look tacky, but if its a functional piece and you're running a track car, might not be too terrible.

-D

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Caprandom said:
On the wheel well splitters, more than likely they will have no benefit on a production vehicle. A ton of emphasis on front aero parts on race cars is how they affect the air at the rear of the car. The function of them probably to affect how air flows over the rear of the car and not to direct air around the wheel well opening.
The explanation of them from the early 90s when IMSA GTP/lights cars were using them was that they assisted the extractors behind the front wheels and kept air from getting mixed up in the wheel wells in an attempt to keep flow alongside the car as smooth as possible.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I thinki a more accurate desription of the wheel splitters is they act like a gurney flap aiding in extracting air from the front wheel well.
The front diffusers of the racecars often dump their air into the wheel wells and the spinning front wheel causes a high pressure to build up in the wheel well.

In removing high pressure air in the wheel there is a reduction in aerodynamic lift on the front axle.
The louvers on top the wheels extract the high pressure also.

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
I have this rear diffuser on and tested at high speeds, low speeds, etc. Something I've noticed, how dirty and dusty the back of the car gets.... The vertical mounted IC stays so much cooler than without... thus far its proven very effective.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I think I went into some kind of diabetic geek-shock reading this thread.

Hmm, stuff that would be curious to see (and easy to do)

-A ~4-6" splitter on the front at basically the stock ride height.
-"speed flaps" on the leading edges of the wheel wells
-Extending the roof a little and adding some of those vortex generator thingies (like if you bridged the area above the engine bay)
-Blocking off the undertray but then actually modelling some ducting out the hood (and maybe taking some sucker fans into account)

Also, did your model reflect the scoop-like final undertray? (can't recal the number).

·
Premium Member
12,689 Posts
Discussion Starter #100
Wheelman13 said:
I think I went into some kind of diabetic geek-shock reading this thread.

Hmm, stuff that would be curious to see (and easy to do)

-A ~4-6" splitter on the front at basically the stock ride height.
-"speed flaps" on the leading edges of the wheel wells
-Extending the roof a little and adding some of those vortex generator thingies (like if you bridged the area above the engine bay)
-Blocking off the undertray but then actually modelling some ducting out the hood (and maybe taking some sucker fans into account)

Also, did your model reflect the scoop-like final undertray? (can't recal the number).
A splitter is actually something I am working on (although not necessarily on a stock car / stock height).

Speed flaps are another I would like to try. Honestly, I just havn't been able to find / make the time to work on this lately. Spring / summer brings too much need to work on my actual car, rather than a computer model of my car :)

81 - 100 of 345 Posts