MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

341 - 345 of 345 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Sorry, i think it will be very difficult to calculate such flow, also a pretty powerfull pc.

Now I have a splitter that center part goes even further than yours, but i shut the bottom opening, cut firewall and make vented hood that you can see on foto few posts higher - no problems with cooling. So i think your next step - make proper vented hood.

BTW, it is bad idea to mount side vertical panels on splitter as you did. It is better to make an opening between them and front bumper, or even put there some canards that route air over wheel arches... You can read about it in last paragraph of this post http://www.mr2oc.com/193-aerodynamics-forum/410768-mkii-cfd-aerodynamics-analysis-17.html#post6058601

·
Registered
78 Posts
Than you!

Yes, venting out the hood is in my agenda but it will probably take a while. In the meantime, I'll have to cut down the center part of the splitter a little to help vent more air at the sacrifice of a little down force.

Thank you for pointing me out on the side panels. I'll trim them down and move them forward a little while leaving a gap.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Have been toying with aerodynamics ideas in my head a lot lately, thanks to this forum. My laptop unfortunately is not powerful enough for this CFD software :( anyways, as well as using fans on the engine lid, suppose two small diffusers were put just before the engine bay to direct cool air up to the engine? I know this could affect the ground effects from that point back, but if it didn't utilize the whole width of the underside, maybe it wouldn't be a drastic change?

I know on the stock underpanel it curves upwards just before the engine bay to divert air up, so same concept.

I made a quick sketch of what I'm thinking of, instead of studying haha. Essentially, they'd be two rectangular slots cut into the underpanel, maybe 11" x 12" ?
That way there is still air flowing past that can be utilized for the rear diffuser.

Attachments

341 - 345 of 345 Posts