MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I'm hardly going to get the most impartial response, posting in an MR2 forum and all, but I figured I'd see what happens.

I'm getting settlement money in a few weeks and I'm going to go and buy a _______ sports car. I've been stuck in every type of pos, deathtrap, base model car out there. The closest I've come to owning a sports car is the old V8 Firebird I had (never drove it - basket case), 5.0 87 T-Bird (blew up like every other Ford I ever owned - within three weeks of owning it), 87 Jetta GL and 91 Civic hatch. Meanwhile, anyone who knows me knows I have more car knowledge than I'll ever know what to do with, have been obsessed by cars since I was four years old (it's all my dad's fault - him and his 350-powered 64 Nova). It might not be the best way to invest some of the money, but it's going to be done anyway.

I've been wanting an MR2 for a long time. However, I've wanted a Miata for much longer.

I'd like the good people here to make the case for either car. They're fairly close matched - the MR2 is mid-engine, but the Miata has double wishbones at all corners. Both sport 1.6l DOHC motors that are pretty sweet. The Miata has one of the best shifters in the business, but the twosRus shifter looks like it could even the score there. However, the Miata seems to have the edge in aftermarket support, yet for the price of a cheap Miata there's the Superchared MR2. See where this is headed?

I don't know. I have a couple of weeks while the money is in escrow to make my decision. I'm more concerned with enjoyment than all-out performance potential. Also, the less I have to do to enjoy the car, the better.

Please keep the 'miata sux' posts to a bare minimum. If you don't have anything to really contribute to the discussion, I'm sure there are other threads you could ruin besides this one. I'm looking for people who like to drive, who are knowledgeable about sports cars in general, who take into account the little things like reliability, parts cost, etc.

I would much appreciate some informed opinions before I make my decision.

Thanks,
DJ

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
well, roadster vs. t-top/sunroof midship.
50/50 weight distribution vs. high polar inertial.
competitive in SCCA classes vs. would take work to get parts sourced and to make competitve.

of course i AM a Toyota man, so i am naturally going to be biased. i personally like the midship feeling better. it always feels a it hairier. fun, though!

·
20v Super Two
5,026 Posts
I'm a fan of Miatas, the only problem is that they're very clearly labelled by your average Joe as a girly car.
I tried to convince my roommate to buy a really nice MX5, and his friends made fun of him and talked him out of it.
People that know cars tend to really like them. People that don't know cars just don't get it.

·
Registered
487 Posts
it also depends on whether it's a daily driver or not. let's face it, the mr2 is pretty useless in carrying capacity. if you have alot of little things, its fine but it has no "real" trunk.

the mr2 is much more "exotic" and rare, but not necessarily the better choice. i just like the engine in the back, theres just something about it.

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
i just spent the last 1.5hrs looking at miata related stuff...thanks a lot people! ugh :)

Anywho...I really like miata's too, sometime I would like to own one, they do have a large aftermarket which is nice.

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
Miatas are for rich pompus golfers that were those silly golf hats and girls. Especially the even more girly older ones.

I'll take an MR2 anyday.

Just my honest opinion here.

Todd

·
Registered
602 Posts
as much as miatas have a rep as being wimpy yuppie toy cars, they also are very much sports cars in every sense. also, parts are way easier to find, and miatas are incredibly easy to work on. btw, you need to check this site out http://www.flyinmiata.com/ id pick a miata over my two!!!

·
Registered
4,603 Posts
Just make sure that the first month you have it you install some parts to make it look meaner. Like a front lip, rims, roll bar, and some lowering springs/coilovers. Then make it faster.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Definitely a Miata.....its gonna be my next purchase after the 85 mr2 and the 944 turbo, lol.

Dont buy a 90-91 though....try to find a 92 in nice shape, Miata's are extremely reliable vehicles but the very early ones had weak cranks that liked to break in half. The new issue of sport compact has a buyers guide in it and i was actually surprised they were good enough to include that fact.

·
Registered
9,201 Posts
Legroom not much in a Miata. At 5'11 with a 32" inseam I could never drive one for more than a short trip. I also feel claustrophobic in one. Miata does have edge in parts and drivetrain are pretty much bulletproof until you get crazy. I personally like the planted feel of my MK1. Good luck

·
Registered
816 Posts
I love my MR2. I'd take it over a lot of cars. I thought about a miata before buying the two, but I love them sooooooo much! Miata's are pretty reliable as well. I've driven both, and I like the way the two moves better.

·
Registered
258 Posts
I'm more of a MR2 person, but I've owned both, and just sold my '01 Miata. Anyway, I've had 3 Miatas, and currently have 5 MR2s, plus a 944 Turbo.

The answer to your question is, it depends. The Miata has much cheaper parts, and its easier to find a nice one. There are still plenty of early Miatas out there that were 2nd or 3rd cars for many people, and those still have low miles and look good. MR2s on the other had, are getting really hard to find that aren't rusted or butchered. The issue with '90 and some of the '91's is the nose of the crank. They have to be torqued to specs, or they can fail. If someone replaced the timing belt but doesn't torque it correctly, that's where the problem lies. They are very very reliable though, on par with Toyota in that respect. They also don't rust as badly as early MR2s. Stock paint on Miatas can sometimes suck though.

The MR2 is hands down the winner in carrying capacity. The Miata has really no real trunk space to speak of, even the 2nd gen cars, and the interior room is also limited. MR2s are like cathedrals in comparison. I'm only 5'9", and I've had to cut 3 or so inches out of the seat foam to fit in the Miata properly. (there's an entire section over on Miata.net showing how to do this, but you have to look for it), and it made it an entirely different car to drive, much better!

I also like the way the MR2 drives on track better, you can balance it with the throttle, and it has better steering feel. The Miata though is no slouch. It has amazing grip and turn in, much better than the MR2. At an autocross, the Miata is the king! In most cases, the Miata is the easier car for most people to drive, and it comes alive on an autocross course. Those that pick on it for being a chick car need to drive one there, it may be the best autocross car ever made right out of the box.

And if you want more power in your Miata, it's just a phone call and couple of thousand away. You can get up to 250hp with a bolt on supercharger. A friend has been testing the new cold side BRP supercharger on his '95, and they're looking for close to 300 before all is said and done. It will already humble all but the fastest of Corvettes up to about 100, with 0-60 times in the 5 second range. That and it's one of the most fun cars I have ever driven bar none! It'll drive all day long with the tail hung out, or you can drive it like a slot car. Fun and very controllable.

If I tire of the Porsche, I'll probably add a supercharged Miata to take its place, but I'll always keep an MR2. I love the way a mid-engine car drives, there's nothing like it really. In a perfect world, you would have both. Other than that, I recommend you drive both and pick the one you like best. There is not a wrong choice here. As for those that wail on the Miata saying its a chick car, they obviously have issues with their manhood! :smile: Ignore them and have a good time, besides, most chicks do like them and will be riding with you anyway!

Dave

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
i would take a look at the specs for both cars and drive both, and weigh your options...

the mk1 is a rarer car, and always seem to attract attention from teens and people who don't know much about it at the track, especially due to the fact that it is mid engined...

its nice to have a group to belong to (www.mr2oc.com) The miata's a nice car, u may see quite a few guys when you race with a miata... i went to a hillclimb a few months back and i believe the miata's were racing the same class hillclimb as mk1... a fellow by the name glenn hoffman took 1st with his 85 N/A, and if i remember correctly there were a few miatas and mr2s...

it all depends what you want.. the mk1 is getting more classic...

i'd rather drive/race an mk1 than a miata... gets more questions... more fun to drive in my opinion... I love the mid-engine, that really makes the car

~mikeym

1 - 20 of 66 Posts