MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a 1985 MR2 with some front end damage and I'd appreciate some advice on how to repair it. My main concern is to make it safe to drive; how good it looks is not so important. I don't know much about the history of the car and I might need to pass a Highway Patrol inspection before I can register it.

It looks like the car was in a relatively minor wreck. There isn't any obvious damage beyond the front wheels and the steering and suspension appear to be in good shape. Mechanically, I see no reason why the car couldn't be driven (although I haven't tried it yet) so it looks to me like it's really just body work. I've put some pictures online at:

http://www.hairycow.name/~harry/tmp/mr2/

What are my options? Are there shops in LA that can repair this car? How much would it cost? Would I be better off selling it and getting another one?

I'd appreciate any information you guys could give me. Thanks!

Harry

·
Registered
867 Posts
It looks like the pass. side frame rail is bent down. So you need some frame rack time. Or try to pull it out yourself. By anchoring the car to the ground and jack up on it. This will not be a perfect fix, but will get you close.
As far as the suspension, take it to get an alignment. If it takes an alignment, the suspension was not damaged.
You also need the very front of the core support.
It really needs a good frame guy to make it right.

·
2 less in Richmond.
16,806 Posts
yeah, what he said ;)...Get a frame guy to put it on a machine. This is the only way to get it straight. Eyeing it is never a good idea.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.