MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i've seen a picture of this on the board. Somebody swapped wheelhubs from a 91na to a mk1 so that you could use a five lug wheel.

Anybody done this?

·
Registered
487 Posts
if you're talking about the MK1 propped up unsafely in that warehouse, then that one pretty much is a MK2 in an MK1 shell from what i heard. motor and all.

·
Premium Member
3,104 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Forgot that i'd need a matching rotors as well. Kind of a waste since I just replaced mine.

Too bad mk3 rims are so expensive.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
The plus side to swapping to 5 lug hubs (So I'm told) is that you have a larger variety of wheels available to you, as well as a larger variety of brake kits, and having an extra lug to hold the wheel to your car is always a plus. If I didn't have ten million other things to do to my MK1, I'd probably look into doing it myself.

·
Registered
487 Posts
more choice for ultra cheap big wheels. there's almost no 4x100 american cars.
5 lug + wheel adapter would open up alomost the entire american market for stock or aftermarket wheels.

i guess you gotta decide what you want first. diameter? width? price/budget? offset? new or used? etc.

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
Auto MX said:
my guess is $150 ebay wheels or $40 spare old MK2 wheels...
You're not taking into account the cost to swap to 5 lug hubs....

·
Registered
653 Posts
I was close to doing this to my car. I thought using the 93 wheels would be a nice touch on my mk1.5, plus I could run upgraded 93 brakes and be done with that system. But there were some problems with the geometry of those mk2 hubs. I got nervous about the changes it would make, and gave up on the idea. Do a search on that mk1.5 that did this and you'll see that my concerns were valid. I'm sure he'll sort it out, but initially the handling was downright dangerous.

So I got 4 lug wheels, and am going a different way with the brakes. C'est la vive.

·
Registered
487 Posts
"Spyder wheels are expensive? What are you comparing them to??"

i said: "my guess is $150 ebay wheels or $40 spare old MK2 wheels..."

no i'm not suggesting it costs $150 or even $40 to do everything, that would just be too easy.

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
I only paid $100 each for my Spyder wheels, and they were brand spankin new :D

·
Registered
4,600 Posts
I'm probably gonna pay $1800 for a set of Volks... And I'm in college working part-time :cry: So quit whining about spending a few hundred on Spyder wheels!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts