MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
pulled into my driveway and tried to unlock the doors but it appears my driver's side door lock is stuck. Passenger side works fine.

Turing the key or using the power door lock buttons doesn't help.
When I try the power door locks the solenoid trieds to unlock the door, but it appears to get jammed. If I try to use the key, I can lock the door, but i cannot unlock it, it turns about 1/5 of a turn then gets stuck.

Looking into the door from above (with the window down), you can see the connecting rod that connects the lock cyclinder to the door latch mechanism. I tried manually actuating this connecting rod using a scredriver and pushing it down (with the key in the lock; the lock cylinder will not turn unless a key is inserted in it). Once again, it turned ~1/5 of a turn and got stuck.

With some fiddling and some creative expletives, I was actually able to get the connecting rod disconnected from the lock cylinder. At this point, the lock cylinder was able to turn all the way in both directions (lock and unlock), so obviously the lock cylinder wasn't the problem.

Pressing the power doorlock buttons, I could see the connecting rod move OK in the locking direction (up), but it would only move part-way in the unlocking direction (down). Trying to manually push the connecting rod down to unlock the door resulted in the same thing...only partial movement.

I'm guessing the actual door latch/lock mechanism is somehow seized.

Since the door won't open, I can't take the door panel off. I'm guessing I'm going to have to tear that apart (I've already accepted that I may have to find a replacement door panel). What I'm afraid of is that the problem is going to necessitate the removal of the door latch/lock mechanisim from inside the door; it's held on by screws that can only be accessed from the outside of the door (in the door jamb). If this is the case, someone is going to have to do some fairly invasive surgery on my car and cut up the door :(

Anyone have any suggestions for how I can tackle this problem? I'm desperate!!!

·
Registered
474 Posts
its tricky but the spring probably came off the latch, you can take a long screwdriver and "hook" the part that locks and unlocks..its hard to explain
but keep folling with it and you'll get it..breaking the door panel won't help because you still won't be able to remove the latch..which you will need a new one...good luck

·
Registered
131 Posts
This is a common problem on Toyotas. Rec442 is correct in that it is a spring that comes loose or plastic piece that the spring connects to is broken. I usually use a stiff piece of wire with a hook shape at the end. Fish around through the top of the door (window track) and try to drive the lower parts of the latch.

Like Rec442 said, don't destroy the door panel as it's not necessary.

Good luck!

"When I try the power door locks the solenoid trieds to unlock the door, but it appears to get jammed."

Are you sure you're not hearing the power door lock from the other door? My notes at work say that 80% of the time its a siezed moter. Disconect the rod and you should be able to drive the rod to open the door. If this doesn't work, then it's the latch (which has a broken spring).

Good luck!

·
Registered
331 Posts
If by chance Mr2x3 and Rec's ideas aren't the solution mine may be as well.
2 weeks ago at work I drove my car around back the shop to grab something inside. I locked my doors. I come back out and press the unlock on my remote and only the passenger unlocked. I thought "maybe the alarm didn't quite sense me pressing unlock".
I know what you mean about about the driver's door partially unlocking. (the part you actually see flip Lock/Unlock inside the car). <--the driver's part would move but only a little.

At this point I was about ready to pay someone to break my door open. (don't do this)
I work at Toyota hear in Florida so the next day after pulling a
Dukes of Hazard move lol (jumping through my Ttops after winding down the windows) I dropped the car off to get inspected.
A tech got my door open with a slim jim.
Long story short:
I had to replace the mechanism in the door jam on the actual door.
(I have power locks, if that matters)
They ordered 2 parts.
# 69040-17062 A lock Assembly $1.62
# 69293-12040 and "snap, door outside" <quote from invoice $214.62

Sorry to say though my friend if this is the same case for you, your looking at a $300 job due to tax and suggested 2 hour labor. (guessing you can get the parts from Jay Marks or another dealer that will give you a discount )
I honestly didn't car b/c I get into my car like a normal person now, no more cool stunts.

I hope all goes well Gee.
-Brendan

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I'm gonna give it one more shot and see if I can get it unlocked myself. Chances are that even if I can get it unlocked myself, something is broken and needs to be replaced, so I might as well have a mechanic look at it anyways. If I can't get it unlocked myself, I'll see if I can pay a mechanic or tow-truck guy to use a slim jim and unlock it. Otherwise it's off to the dealership or shop to get myself bent-over...*sigh*

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i didn't do it myself. I ended up bringing the car to a local bodyshop and they were able to get it open. Apparently the problem was exactly as rec442 and mr2x3 described. There is a spring in the latch mechanism that breaks or comes loose and causes this to happen.

The bodyshop guy's description was that there is a small metal bar connected to a small spring. The spring causes the bar to retract so that you can lock/unlock the door. When the spring breaks the bar is no longer able to retract and causes the lock to be stuck. He was able to use a long screwdriver (12"?), reach down through the window track, and manually *push* the bar out of the way so that you can unlock the door. Then replace the spring with spring from another latch.

·
Registered
1,558 Posts
geebutbut said:
i didn't do it myself. I ended up bringing the car to a local bodyshop and they were able to get it open. Apparently the problem was exactly as rec442 and mr2x3 described. There is a spring in the latch mechanism that breaks or comes loose and causes this to happen.
I don't know mr2x3, but I am friends with and worked with rec442, and he's ALWAYS right. You get sick of it after a while...

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks for the reply, im getting headaches trying to visualize the way this lock works and how and what exactly to *push*. If anyone has any pictures, please post.

thanks,
hopefully, I can fix this soon.

I went to the toyota dealer, they wanted $130 to diagnose the problem, then whatever it would take to fix it. no thanks....I'll keep trying.

-Zo

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I actually went out and took some pics to try and figure out what the problem would've been, but I can't really tell.

This is the best pic I could get of the latch mechanism. The arrow is what I *think* is the spring. Perhaps you might want to pm rec442 and get him to point it out on the pic himself...

Hope this helps

·
Registered
109 Posts
thanks for the pic bro, it really helps. things seem a little clearer now. now if someone can just instruct which part and direction to push or pull in, hopefully I can get this thing open. I'll pm rec442, hopefully he'll know.

thanks again!!
-zo

·
Registered
109 Posts
Fixed thanks to all of you

Thanks to you guys here and an email from rec442 (ryan), I was able to fix this! Ryan actually found a latch from a junked toyota and emailed details on how to open it. Thanks man! I actually did this a day after your posts but just haven't replied back to this til now. Hopefully anyone else that sees this problem can find this helpful...

geebutbut, the picture you posted helps a lot, and you are pointing to the exact part that needs to be pushed down.

The spring is connected to two hooks, the one on the top moves a lever up and down. When the spring is broken off, you just need to lightly push the hook down. It sort of clicks down and then you should be able to unlock and open the door. It DOESN'T take much force so don't beat at it in frustration and break something else. When looking down from the top of the door, things can look confusing. Here's what Ryan pointed out, making it easy to locate the correct area... when you move the door handle, look at the rod that moves inside the door and follow to where it connects at the latch. The spring and hooks are right next to it. Once I recognized it from geebutbut's pic above, it was easy.

Here's a pic of the latch out of the car with a new spring attached. I bought a few springs from ACE Hardware, and ended up putting a spring that was slightly longer than the original. I bought one that was the same length as the original but it seemed like it would be too stiff so I used the longer one.

note the hooks and the lever attached to the top hook.

Once you get the door open, take off the door panel and put the window up. If you care to keep the clear plastic the way it is, either park your car in the heat for a while so the black tar softens or use a hairdryer. I took the latch completely out and replaced the spring. If you can replace it without removing it completely, great...it'll save some work. If you do have to remove the whole thing, disconnect the rods carefully. There are little plastic snaps that connect to the metal rods. Remove the big screws from the doorjam and you should be able to get it out.

$0.45 and two hours later, I had a working door again! And its been fine for a few weeks now.
SST used: Long thin BBQ skewer (to push the hook down) :)

In case anyone is reading this with the same problem and the pics are missing, please email me.

Thanks again guys,
-Zo

Here's Ryan's message he sent to me:

"allright I looked at a latch I had laying around.. the spring that probably broke holds the locking mechanism. Take a flash light and look down between the door panel and the window ( window down) you'll be able to see the latch...take a long thin screwdriver and see what you can move. there will be a large diameter gold colored rod hooked to the door handle, if you can see what that hits against you'll be half way there..you will have to move the locking part to the unlock position or push the part of the door actuator without moving the large rod....I know this sounds complicated but just take your time and make sure you have good batteries. when you get it open you can get a small spring at home depot . Toyota doesn't sell just the spring.
If you have more questions give me a call on my cell phone xxxxxxxxxx if I don't answer I
will get back to you......Ryan"

·
Registered
67 Posts
THANK YOU!

This afternoon my driver door would not unlock. After reading this thread I had the door open in seconds and fixed in an hour. It was the broken spring.

Thank you for posting the detailed information and pictures! Y'all rock.

The mk2 is not easy to "dukes of hazard" into!

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
I have a similiar but different problem.

My drivers side door doesnt lock or unlock when you use the power door lock buttons.

I have opened the doors and everything seems connected. Do you think it might be the a busted motor? Where is that located in the door?

·
Registered
109 Posts
MR2DRU said:
This afternoon my driver door would not unlock. After reading this thread I had the door open in seconds and fixed in an hour. It was the broken spring.

Thank you for posting the detailed information and pictures! Y'all rock.

The mk2 is not easy to "dukes of hazard" into!
Glad to see that this post helped someone out!

-Zo

·
Registered
139 Posts
this problem happened to me this weekend and i was able to open the door cause of your advice.. thanks guys, but i put in a new spring which i had to buy a longer one and cut to the right length and installed it in. put on the rods but when i put the rod for the outside door handle, it keeps the lock from locking. i cut another two springs, one a little longer and one that is less stiff and both times the same thing happened. does anyone have any suggestions?

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.