MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
By any chance does anyone have a link (or site) where they have step by step instructions on how to drop the transmission?, The clutch is going on my 89' and I want to see the steps so I can determine if I can do the project with my a friend or if I have to take it to a mechanic to do the work. I remember seeing it on here a while ago but I cannot find it so any information will be appreciated, Thank ahead of time. :thumbup

·
Registered
3,958 Posts
The easiest way to do this is to simply drop the tranny. It is easier than dropping the engine and tranny together. For getting the engine out it is easier to drop them as a combo, but the tranny can just be unbolted from the engine and dropped alone. I don't know where there is a writeup, although I believe there was a similar thread a few weeks ago. It shouldn't be too tough though; unbolt it from the engine, disconnect the 3 mounts, disconnect the various things attached to it (a few grounds,clutch slave cylinder, thermostat housing, etc...) and that's about it.
In terms of it being easier than swapping a tranny, it is exactly the same plus clutch replacement. After all, to get at the clutch the tranny has to be completely removed.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the info. Im gonna probably go ahead and try to drop the transmission only but if I get some stuff I want on the engine I might go ahead and drop the whole thing just to give it a look over, see what Im working with.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts