MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a trunk lid that came off an '89 MK1 SC, U.S. Model. I'm getting a couple of emails from people that claim it's not an original trunk lid due to the spoiler that's mounted on it. Does anyone know for sure if the MK1 SC was ever outfitted with a standard brake light in the spoiler instead of the LED light?

·
Registered
938 Posts
Yes, SC's did come with that brake light.
In 1988 (the first model year of USDM SC's) all mk1's equipped with a spoiler came with the older "standard" brake light. In 1989 (the last model year of the mk1's) they switched over to the LED brake light.

Irregardless, other than the "Supercharged" sticker, the NA and SC trunk lids are identical for their corresponding years.

·
Burbank's fastest AW11
14,473 Posts
vex10 said:
I have a trunk lid that came off an '89 MK1 SC, U.S. Model. I'm getting a couple of emails from people that claim it's not an original trunk lid due to the spoiler that's mounted on it. Does anyone know for sure if the MK1 SC was ever outfitted with a standard brake light in the spoiler instead of the LED light?

Some people have not clue. 1989 was the only year the LED brake lights were on the AW11. All other years has the 3rd brake light as shown out your picture posted.

Here's an example of the LED off of an 89:

Peace-

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
vex10 said:

Unless someone switched wings on that trunk lid it's an 88 trunk lid, not an 89. All 89's that had the wing came with the LED wing, no 89's have that box light.

Todd
87sc

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,966 Posts
It was not an option AFAIK. All 89s had the LED spoiler. And the early MKIs had no 3rd brake light. I think it was all 85s that had none.

I swapped my 88 spoiler for an 89 to get the LED brake lights. Anyone need a spoiler from an 88 ?

John
88 SC, 93T

·
Registered
1,226 Posts
simple as this,

85= NO 3rd brake light
86= No 3rd brake light
87= old style 3rd brake light
88= old style 3rd brake light
89= LED 3rd brake light

am i right?

·
Registered
9,809 Posts
89= All LED, n/a and SC

88= All box light n/a and SC

87= All box light

86= some had box light, some didn't have any light

85= No light

Some or all of the MR2's w/o spoilers have the center mount light behind the rear window in the interior.

89 is the only year with the LED, even in Japan as far as I know. And.. I think I know a lot about this kind of stuff.

Todd
87sc
www.cardomain.com/id/tksmr2

·
I LOVE GOLD!
1,940 Posts
There should be a small white sticker on the trunk lid with the vin number for the car, there might even be on hiding somewhere on the spoiler. You should be able to tell what year trunk lid you have by the vin number on this sticker.

TM

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
That's exactly what I was going to suggest as I was reading and scrolling down. The VIN will give away the year via the last digits, and looking them up in the parts catalog will confirm the model year & production date. Someimes the sticker has been removed though either by people "cleaning up" the extra stickers or by repainting/repair.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts