MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 40 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
strangethursday said:
zanny what color is your car painted? Im looking for a similar color for my spitfire
It's a custom mix. And I am not telling. :smile:
The clear is tinted with HOK candy apple red intensifier. Do a search in the paint and body forum. Type in "paint booth". It explains everything, from beginning to finish.
The only other person who knows the formula is 8Legs. And I don't think he is telling.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Bringing up an old topic...

I got a second spoiler to destroy but before I start I was just curious what you guys use to cut out the sections of the spoiler you don't need anymore. Hacksaw? Sawzall? cutting disc? I'd rather not experiment to see what works best.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
Yeah I've been wanting to do vortex generators too. But I was thinking about making a fiberglass version of the rear visor with the vortex generators on it. That would put it in the same spot as it is on the Evo pretty much. I just don't have time to do it though.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #29 (Edited)
UPDATE - 2011

Here are some other wings that I have used on the track with good success.

Mounted on my MK1.22 5SFE 2.2 liter powered MK1 MR2 Endurance Race car.
Made from aluminum with a gurney flap. Rear visibility was limited as spoiler blocked the rear view. A clear Lexan version would be ideal.

real APR aluminum spoiler. I like the look of this bad boy. It goes out to the absolute max width of the car. It really worked well too. More testing is needed though.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
i like the look of the APR over that nascar spoiler, but doesn't the APR need to be a little higher up? and what ever happened to mounting to the sides of the rear quarter panel?

edit: did you seal up the side vent? if so, why?

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
The side vent is actually just a screen over it. it is functional.
Higher? ya, once I figure out how to do it properly. higher up has issues. like if the car gets backwards at high speed...

side mounts? another issue... mainly material and time. It is going to take some work, and frankly I had to spend time working on other projects.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
lol... how many times did you catch yourself on that sheet metal spoiler before deciding to "soften" it up?

btw, the diamond plate bumper looks better anyways...

·
Original
10,788 Posts
So I finished cutting up my extra spoiler last weekend and mounting on the car. i also mounted a couple of shims under the spoiler, raising the rear up a couple more degrees. does this make the angle of attack too steep?

·
Zack's smirking revenge
1,573 Posts
You might have, but there is an easy solution: Gurney flap!

I)Get some 1/4" or 1/2" aluminum angle, 3M double sided tape.
A)Cut the aluminum angle to the width of the spoiler (bevel the corners a bit for your skin's sake)
iii)Tape to the TOP of the spoiler.
d) PROFIT!

If you use the CFD diagram stickied else where in this forum, it is possible to find the sweet spot for the spoiler.

·
Registered
640 Posts
mtbmr2 said:

A)Cut the aluminum angle to the width of the spoiler (bevel the corners a bit for your skin's sake)
d) PROFIT!

If you use the CFD diagram stickied else where in this forum, it is possible to find the sweet spot for the spoiler.
Adding a spoiler would change the airflow across the entire rear section of the car and a new CFD would have to be run to see how it works. Unfortunately, basically no one has a solid model of any version of the MR2. The best I could find was a wire mesh that solidworks then tried to make into surfaces. It worked out all right for most parts but some spots got messed up and even then solidworks needs a solid body ( surfaces are not considered solid objects by solidworks ) in order to be able to run a CFD.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mtbmr2 said:

d) PROFIT!
<snip>
something like this? ;)

21 - 40 of 52 Posts