MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, today i noticed that my drivers door was sagging more than i could stand...i tried adjusting it, but it was pretty obvious that there was alot of space between the pin and the hole (where i believe there should have been a bushing)

Ive seen multiple threads on fixing this, from stealing a hinge from another toyota, to trying to scource a bushing kit that would fit....but most times the answer was the same....the pins are press fit/permanent, and the only way to fix that sag was to buy new hinges...

Well, being a mk1 guy, im thinkin "Those pins arent permanent unless I say theyre permanent!!"

So the original pin measure .32"...one end has a head on it, and the other is flared out to keep the pin in place, like a rivet...the hole that that pin goes through measured .39"...but im assuming i was also missing a bushing....

Ive checked before and theres not anything that'll fit right in, and im pretty sure the holes were egged out a little from sitting so long....so i decided to just use a bigger pin all together...

I used a Dorman: Help! Hinge Pin Kit, from carquest, part number 38386...i think its listed for a Bronco or something....The pin measures .38" x 2.6", and the bushing have an OD of .5", and an ID of .382...This guy

So the first thing i did was to cut the pin in half with a grinder, so i wouldnt have to grind off the flared portion...

The ends are pressed intop the hinge, but i used a chisel and hammer to seperate em....on one of em, i had to drill the center out before it would back out of the hinge....

So the original hole was .39" in diameter, and the OD of the new bushing is .5"...just had to use a drill to widen that hole....you only have to widen the outermost holes, as the new pin already will fit the inner ones, but the kit comes with four bushings, so i widened all four holes to .5"....theres zero play..

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here it is with the big meaty pin installed....

Same process for the bottom hinge..

You have to drive the pin in another half inch to "set" it into the hinge, but im gonna paint them before i do that...

Here it is bolted to the car...

With those double bushing in there, the thing doesnt move at all, and itll last awhile too...

End

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just did this repair to my driver door hinges and used a NAPA 675-5151 kit. Comes with two pins and 4 bushings similar to the kit noted above, cost me a whole $ 7.34 to do one door and beats approx $ 80 for two new hinges from the dealer. 3 of the 4 bushings were completely broken. I did both hinges in about 2 hrs, and what an improvement - they're solid now - just like new. Makes a good rainy afternoon project.

2 additional benefits also result -

1) by tapping the two new pins out you can easily take the non-power window door assembly off the car in about 10 seconds
2) once the door is removed you can regrease the pins/bushings (which is not possible on the stock hinge assy) for added longevity

Paul

·
Registered
47 Posts
you said you drilled all four holes out to 1/2".
so did you use all four bushings on each hinge?
the pictures aren't quite clear enough to see how you placed each bushing.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yup...theres four bushings per hinge. it feels pretty tight when you try to move it by hand, but when you put the dooor back on, you cant even tell...its just real firm.

·
Registered
267 Posts
tsj9197 said:
you said you drilled all four holes out to 1/2".
so did you use all four bushings on each hinge?
the pictures aren't quite clear enough to see how you placed each bushing.
There are two original bushings installed per hinge assy - both on the inner (moveable) element. These are the ones that need to be replaced. Mine fell out easily since they were very worn. Bore these two original diameter holes out to right under 0.500" and install the new replacement bushings here.

The holes on the outer (fixed) element need to be bored a bit to match the replacement pin diameter, since the new replacement pin is larger than the original pin diameter. But you don't need bushings here - you can do it if you want to (as noted in the pictures above) and install bushings here as well, but since the pin doesn't turn with respect to this fixed part, there's no real advantage to do so.

Using the kit above provides two pins and 4 bushings, so one kit will repair one door for all of approx $ 7. Otherwise you will have to buy 2 kits instead of 1 to repair each door - it's your choice.

·
Registered
4,919 Posts
update, part number 38386 for the bronco does not exist anymore, it has been discontinued. I am using another part number, same general idea. Mine was for a chrystler.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
According to Dormans website, it does not show discontinued.

The Part# 38386

There is also another part # for the exact same part 703-272

Maybe they just updated the part #'s.

And it shows for Dodge full size trucks from 1984-1997

1 - 11 of 11 Posts