MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 166 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I'd go for a pair or 2, but would like to see some guesstimate pricing. The extra thickness would not be helpful fitmentwise. And I have to agree about National, unfortunately. There's a lot of weird _____ going on in club racing and the long debated fate of the MR2 is just a small example of it. Can't get parts? Too bad. Go buy a Miata! And make friends with someone who owns a body shop and be sure to increase your health insurance...

:soapbox:

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Glad you found it before the last MARRS race this weekend. I would hate to see you going off the track behind me at T5!

Anyway, at walking speeds around the paddock I had noticed a little sqeaking noise from the LR during the last MARRS race. I figured it was thin brake pads, but they looked OK, and I didn't have a problem that weekend. I decided to do the WDCR Sunday PDX/Track Trail on 9/25, which was a freebie for voluteering. I noticed the little squeak again around the paddock, so I jacked it up and shook the wheel, but nothing was obviously wrong. Went out for another session and heard a more harsh noise during right hand turns at speed coming from who knows where, so I bagged the final run. As it turns out the LR hub was shot, so it was fortunate I had not run that last session. They frown on dispatching the tow truck during the TTs.

Guess what? Rear hubs are still available! :thumbup

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sooo... I keep hearing about (and seeing) front hub failures. I'm running in EP and have yet to have a hub failure. I can say with a fair amount of certainty that I'm probably putting a little more side loading forces on the hubs than most ITB cars, but I could be wrong if you factor in the additional weight of an ITB car.

I like those custom hubs and I too would be interested in them... that said, I think you all could get away with running them because of this passage in the GCR (pg 383):

"Stock replacement parts may be obtained from sources other than the manufacturer provided they are the exact equivalent of the original parts. The intent of this rule is to allow the competitor to obtain replacement parts from standard industry outlets, e.g., auto-parts distributors, rather than from the manufacturer. It is not intended to allow parts that do not meet all dimensional and material specifications of new parts from the manufacturer."

Just claim standard aftermarket part. Say nothing, plead ignorance. How would they know the difference? If they really press, then pull the safety card. Besides its ITB for crying out loud.... Honor among thieves and all. :angel: I know of more than my share of IT Hondas that are, eh-hem, ?way over developed? let?s just say.

I say run?em and stay safe.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Interesting. So you're running stock parts in prod? What wheels are you using? Are they hub centric?

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, I'm running stock hubs with ARP wheel studs meant for an Evo. I run 13x7 spun steel Diamond Racing wheels (these to be exact). They are definitely not hub centric.

I'm sure if I had some cubic $$ I could probably develope some better components, but stock seems to do just fine for now. :)

Front:
Stock hubs
1/4" aluminum spacers
Stock spindles
87+ front calipers/brakes etc..
RCA's
Stock balljoints
Stock control arms
GC coilover kit
GC Camber plate
Tokico Illumina inserts
shortened Tein strut rods
larger swaybar
upgraded endlinks
Urethane bushings

various pics... car has undergone some evolution over the past 4 to 5 years.
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.102580079818551.3846.100001996776895&type=1&l=0316b7c5df
&
http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.102055183204374.3021.100001996776895&type=1&l=773f72d04f

-Mike

·
Registered
1,826 Posts
Any update on this? One of the machinists here at work does some stuff on the side and I've printed a couple pics out to get a rough estimate on pricing for both 1 piece and 10 pieces (both as a single machined piece and as 2 pieces welded together) out of my own curiousity and if Toyota is really not going to make anymore I could look into distrobution (for off-road use blah blha blah) methods.

·
Registered
686 Posts
Anyone broke a "REAR" hub? I replaced BOTH rear axles before my last race in October, and even after replacing them, there was still play in the LF wheel. I am pretty sure it's the hub (or bearings within). I DID check for crack before the last race, and there were none. Hope we find a solution soon. Would hate to have to park the '2 b/c it's unsafe to race and can't find parts!

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Knock on wood.. no hub failure yet.. Run smooth fast tracks and rough demanding tracks. Is summit the common donominator?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Has anyone made any progress on finding or making new front axle hubs for the Mk1? I have fatigue cracks in the hubs of my track car and would prefer to use new parts, but may have to go with used hubs if nothing new is available.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #54
Hey Tiger82. Did you ever get pricing on these hubs? I'd be interested as long as they're exactly the same as stock as opposed to yours which are thicker, and I don't need the studs any longer than stock. Can you ask your guy about a group price per pair and we'll go from there? I'm sure there will be some interest...
AJ

tiger82 said:
I've broken two hubs when we used to run our MR2 in ITA. I believe that the hub that is affected depends on the direction of the track. In both cases we broke the passenger side hub on CCW tracks.

When converting the car to Super Production trim on slicks, I had new hubs made up by my local machinist out of 4340. The hub flange is ~ .125" thicker than stock. However this was not dictated by a strength consideration but where I wanted the rotor to be in the custom brake setup. Total shop time was ~ 6 hours for both hubs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I paid $600/pr for the machining (excluding studs). The shop is non CNC, so there won't be much of a break for making a group purchase. I've PM'd you the shop contact info.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter #56
Good to know. Thanks. :thumbup

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
MY > Cheap Cure For Hub Failures

I found a cure for the front hub failures and it cost only $1.00.

I've raced my 89 SC for 2 decades and initially I had hub failure up the yin-yag. When the hubs were dis-assembled I found only a spit of OEM Toyota supplied grease at the bearings.. :bsflag:

I cured this lack of lubrication by installing greaseable zerk fittings to the inner (removeable) inspection cap. Shown here: (BLACK CAP)

Before my monthly high speed races I give the bearings several pumps of grease. Since I have installed this $1 fitting I have had NONE that is ZERO failures of the front hub assemblies.

ToyZ RacZing
South Florida

This is the only mod that has produced these results in 23 years.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
Ya know, this is interesting, because in the last 15~20yrs or so, each time I've put new wheel bearings on, I've washed out the OE grease and repacked with high temp synthetic grease. (I could be wrong, but I read somewhere that many 'other' OE car brands do use synthetic from the get go...ie Porsche, Honda)

Anyhow, I used to have relatively frequent bearing failures related to overheating (brakes, etc) and liquifying the OE grease.
Now, through ducting (etc) I've lowered bearing/hub temps and I realize that not only do bearings last waaaay longer (no doubt helped by the synthetic grease as well), but that my hub failure occured in the 'old days', with the stock grease. Hmmm....

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Florida is like heaven for racers, there's many venues here in the Southern half of the state. We can autoX the Ft Laud/Miami area with Equippe-Rapide. (monthly)
Central Florida Region SCCA has lots of autox's and is spreading out to the Florida west coast. There's cool race bunch in the Florida Keys called the Ecurie-Vitesse which have some pretty interesting speed events in the Keys almost monthy. The real fun is the SE Div SCCA Solo 1 program, this group visits all the big really cool tracks with high speed racing with nobody on the track but you and your car.

I run 14" Goodyear Sportman slicks. I did run some and can reference Hoosier who has a 0 (Zero) treadware "street" tire that's awesomely grippy and great for paved hillclimbs.

41 - 60 of 166 Posts