MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a stock 85’ and am lookin for a set of coil overs and tires I want the suspension to be lowered but allowed for better handaling ame thing goes for the tires, any suggestions?

·
Registered
306 Posts
What's your plan for the car? Koni yellows and an eibach pro kit is perfect for a road car.
Tires also depend on what you want. Are you sticking with stock wheels? Aftermarket? 15x7 looks good and fits well with 35mm offset. 205/50/15 tires are common and cheap.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What's your plan for the car? Koni yellows and an eibach pro kit is perfect for a road car.
Tires also depend on what you want. Are you sticking with stock wheels? Aftermarket? 15x7 looks good and fits well with 35mm offset. 205/50/15 tires are common and cheap.
I don’t plan with sticking with sock wheels just sort of trying to figure it out I enjoy somewhat pushing the car on down hills nothin crazy just some weekend fun for the adrenaline rush but I want to take it slowly however other than the exauhst I want to build up the handalimg before I get to the engine. I was planning on finding wheel and tire sizes after I pick a suspension kit.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Anything for the NA Miata fits the AW11. Mk3 Spyder wheels look nice and are found pretty cheap for us, though. You can get them staggered too!

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Anything for the NA Miata fits the AW11. Mk3 Spyder wheels look nice and are found pretty cheap for us, though. You can get them staggered too!
for the NA, any year of Na Miata coil overs will fit?

·
Registered
138 Posts
Sorry for not being clear. I was referring to the wheels. They're both 4x100, as is the ZZW30 MR2. Sometimes places will list wheels for miatas, but not include us in the keywords.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have BC Racing BR Type on my 87' w/ 14x6.5 Watanabe +30 wrapped with Toyo Extenzas
Been driving this setup for a while and I enjoy it. Car feels great in the turns. WAT Racing makes coils and you can find them from Matrix Garage. I met someone with WAT coils, he said he really liked them.
My recommendation is that whatever wheel/tire combo you select, try to aim for a lighter setup.
Try something and see how you like it, this is the way XD

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Anything other than this that I’d need?

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
467 Posts
There isn't a 1984 model year for the AW11, in the US at least. If you have a 1984 build date, which can be found on the driver's door, you actually have a 1985 model. So yes, 85 pr 86 will fit your car. I remember having trouble finding springs back in 2009 for this car. I ended up with some from B&G, which I don't have any gripes about.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
There isn't a 1984 model year for the AW11, in the US at least. If you have a 1984 build date, which can be found on the driver's door, you actually have a 1985 model. So yes, 85 pr 86 will fit your car. I remember having trouble finding springs back in 2009 for this car. I ended up with some from B&G, which I don't have any gripes about.
wow that's crazy the seller gave me the information that it was from 1984. If not no big deal but would you happen to have any part names or links to what I should buy for a set up.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
These are some of the only coil over kits I’ve found do they look good in any of you opinions. Also I found a set of Godspeed coil overs that would fit that I wouldmuch rather buy because I could actually afford them. they were more affordable but I heard they were pretty ****** any thoughts on them?

·
Registered
1986 MK1.5
467 Posts
wow that's crazy the seller gave me the information that it was from 1984. If not no big deal but would you happen to have any part names or links to what I should buy for a set up.
Definitely see the post mentioned earlier (and quoted below). The coilovers you have been looking at (Megan Racing and D2) most likely aren't recommended due to low quality. They're just cheap and will give you problems and poor performance. Bayareamk1 mentioned some better, more quality options below, BC Racing and WAT will make you way happier in the long run.

I have BC Racing BR Type on my 87' w/ 14x6.5 Watanabe +30 wrapped with Toyo Extenzas
Been driving this setup for a while and I enjoy it. Car feels great in the turns. WAT Racing makes coils and you can find them from Matrix Garage. I met someone with WAT coils, he said he really liked them.
My recommendation is that whatever wheel/tire combo you select, try to aim for a lighter setup.
Try something and see how you like it, this is the way XD

A quick google search shows you can still get the B&G springs, found here:

Be sure to get quality shocks/dampers to go with the new springs, unless your car already has some. Koni Sport yellows are highly recommended.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts