MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have my 3rd gen 3sgte mated to a MKII Na tranny. Looks like this will plug directly into the hubs with no special axles or additional major mods.
I am running a stout turbo pressure plate and a stock OEM mkii na clutch. (for budget reasons, this is a $2006 car)
I was wondering if I should still fret about the driveline being weak (drive shafts etc) or if I can expect the relatively small tire and light weight of the car to keep me from overloading those components. The car should have @300 rwhp and weigh in at around 1800lbs with driver. I will be running 205 profile auto-x compund tire.
Anyone want to take bets on how long this will hold and what will break first?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I would be a little worried about longevity of the S5(4?) gearbox. A lot of people use them in FWD 3S-GTE's but they don't have anywhere near the traction an aw11 has, especially with race tyres. I think provided you don't do much drag racing it might hold up - FWIW I blew the diff in an S53 with about 80FWHP on my first car by constantly abusing it

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will have the power of the 3sgte and the traction of mid engine, but a lot less weight than a celica. I am hoping that it will help some. I am considering "welding" the diff. Anybody done this with an MR2? Is it a nightmare on a track/auto-x drag only car?

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
no you don't

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
you'd probably have to source a flex plate and torque convertor from a auto gen 2 onwards 3S-GE or a tiptronic caldina gt-t

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
mk1-1987 said:
i think you will have to modificate the s54 bellhousing in order to fit the block
That is a big no, I already have the tranny on the motor. Bolted on without issue. I am using the turbo pressure plate on the 3sgte flywheel and the s54 with s54 clutch, since the turbos input shaft is one of the differences.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts