MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello AW11 lovers?

Any way I have gone mental and i'm on a mission to find and import a Super edition from anywhere!

Please let me know if you have one and want to sell or know where one that needs love is hiding!

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
what all defines the super edition?
did they have special decals and badging?
were they all supercharged?
how many were made and are they more rare then the Black Limited edition ones?

·
Registered
1,423 Posts
Yeh mental..

With a Ace of Spades avatar feeding an ego must be a constant challenge huh?:smile:

Try going/seeking Japan based importers/exporters based on the west coast or the internet on Japanese sites. Translation apps are available.

With the amount of Limited Production supercharged cars getting access stateside if you are offered one decent SE here in the States your gonna pay thru your backside.

If you get a VIN identification please do post it here for the forum.

Happy hunting.;)

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Na it just comes down to I have always wanted one. I have an exporter in japan hunting for me, UK or other places may have some as well.

Every time one comes up for sale i'm broke or in the middle of buying something.

At this rate I'm looking to pay a lot and I know that...

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I wouldn't bother. The differences are all cosmetic. If you want a rare bird from Japan, look for the 4AGTE of which a relative handful were made. I saw one recently that was on auction for $35K in Japan. If you do want one, I'd consider talking to a breaker in the UK. Have the seats, momo steering wheel etc shipped over to you for retrofit to a well restored Mark 1 SC.

There are many interesting and worthwhile projects you can do with an MR2 - importing an SE shouldn't be one of them.

·
Registered
3,265 Posts
??? You mean there was a factory turbo 4AG?? In an MR2???
I have never heard of this, Do tell.
I call shennanigans.

Just buy out Elcakesmashero, he's got one. If when he PCSs back to the states it's 25 years old, it'll make it cheaper. That said, I believe that's why he bought it.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
I call shennanigans.

Just buy out Elcakesmashero, he's got one. If when he PCSs back to the states it's 25 years old, it'll make it cheaper. That said, I believe that's why he bought it.
That one he found in Japan had been sitting for a long time too, I couldn't believe it when I saw that thread.
If I recall he found it at a track, in the weeds just sitting waiting for someone to come along. What a find...

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I have had and sold a few se rear clips on this forum. Do you want the entire car or rear clip. I can find one for you for sure but it won't be cheap. My guess would be around 4k shipped for the car unless you can find one not running.

Ron

·
Registered
9,799 Posts
Wasn't there only like 250 something SE's ever sold in Japan only? Also, I thought there was an earlier SE edition that was bronze/white two tone.

Not sure why anyone would go through the trouble b/c the differences are all cosmetic. The only thing really is the Super Edition Visor letting which is not easy to replicate, but I know someone who went through the trouble to replicate one, but not sure if he got it exactly right b/c there is a design in the actual lines of the lettering.

There is also the white Lanner and Black Edition.. or something along those lines, but it's all cosmetic stickers and stuff folks.

4agte one is new to me.. never heard of such a thing being offered as a factory option car.

Info on the SE from an owner in BC.

http://www.bcmr2.com/SE/history.html

some specs from that page:

Midnight Blue paint or two-tone Gold & White paint
Power retractable/folding side mirrors (really these are on all 89 AW11's in Japan, previously thought only to be an SE option)
Mirrored T-top panels
Automatic Climate Control with Air Conditioning
Recaro seats and matching door panels
Momo steering wheel
Momo shift knob
Gold trims and decals
Gold "SUPER EDITION" decals on the doors
Gold "SUPER EDITION" decal on visor above the rear window
Gold "SUPERCHARGER" and "TOYOTA MR2" decals on the trunk lid
Gold "LIMITED" decal in the rear window
Red Super Edition floor mats (G-limited MR2 has Gray floor mats)
Red trays behind the seats (G-limited MR2 has Gray trays)

Mechanically, the Super Edition was identical to the Supercharger MR2:

4A-GZE engine - 4 cylinder, 1587cc Twin-Cam 16Valve :: 145hp :: 140ft/lbs Torque :: 8psi boost pressure ::
Toyota SC-12 1200cc Roots type intercooled supercharger
Toyota E51 5-speed manual gearbox. Limited Slip Differential was optional

Last I heard there are 6 or 7 Super Editions imported into England as well.

·
Premium Member
2,265 Posts
I'm in BC and remember seeing the Super Edition at a few of the meets here. I think the owners name was Matt but he sold it a couple of years ago. You will probably want to get over to Google Auctions Japan and see what you can find. In the past I have seen one or two for sale on there.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have had and sold a few se rear clips on this forum. Do you want the entire car or rear clip. I can find one for you for sure but it won't be cheap. My guess would be around 4k shipped for the car unless you can find one not running.

Ron
Any help would be great I would tape part but i would rather have a full car!
some thing I could drive and not have to rebuild from a clip

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Its more than "cosmetics" to me I been watching for along time and now I have the money and space. I been down the 4A build road from stock to 437WHP ,
Now I want a JDM RHD Super Edition thats all its makes me smile =)

·
Registered
478 Posts
How would you go about making it legal in the states? I heard RHD wasn't legal unless you get some sort of paperwork with it, though I haven't really looked much into it. Do you have smog requirements as well?

1 - 20 of 54 Posts