MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it possible to make a MKII approximate the steering response and chassis composure of the MKIII while matching its ride frequency?

I drove my stock 91 turbo and my friends stock 00 spyder back to back on an autoX course many years ago. I was astounded at how much faster the spyder responds to steering inputs and how much harder it seems to turn-in initially compared to my MKII. My friend was also surprised that my car felt like a boat that required much earlier steering input before the car reacted.

He has autoX'd my car before he got his spyder. We both didn't have that impression until we drove the spyder! :eek:

1. Is the ride frequency (ride comfort) similar between the MKII and MKIII stock?
2. He had better tires than I did (michelin pilot exalto vs sumitumo htr200)
3. how much steering response is affected by suspension bushings?
4. how much response time is affected by weight given the same ride frequency?
5. Is it possible the spyder has better suspension geometry despite having macpherson struts?
6. any clues about how to make a MKII feel more like a MKIII in responsiveness and eagerness to turn without changing ultimate grip level much and without making the MKII less comfortable than the stock MKIII?
7. is this mission possible?

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Maybe this should be moved into the suspension forum? As I was writing the first post, I realized, there is much more to steering response and feel of agility than just suspension and chassis design.

First thing I will try is to get lighter 15" front wheels and good responsive tires.

Anyone have suggestions of good looking 15" wheels for the MKII that are light?

TIA

·
Registered
658 Posts
15" enkei rpf1's are less than 10 lbs. but i wouldnt recommend it. The tire sidewall has alot to do with the steering response.

Idk if you can zoom in but this is me riding on stock wheels in autox. theres an incredible amount of sidewall flex and these are high performance summer tires says tirerack.

16 inch minimum i would say. plus good tire options is probably the most important.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
BUT ;)

stock spyder tires are 185/55/15 front, 205/50/15 rear, same profile as the stock 93 MKII tires, yet the car is super responsive. I guess weight has something to do with it but the MKII front end is very light, too.

I posted my recent finding about stiffening the shocks in the MKII suspension forum. I have found and now remember from past autox many years ago that the rear shock setting greatly affects the car's response time. With front koni's 1/2 turn from full stiff and rears 3/8 from full stiff, I get very good steering response without changing anything else on the car, compared to 1/2 turn from full soft I had before.

However, when I changed rears to full stiff while keeping the fronts the same, the car's response was a notch quicker, almost instantaneous. Try it, you will be surprised. :)

·
Registered
658 Posts
I'll give it a try. full stiff on my buddy clubs will probably be solid suspensions lol. in this pic i had front and back on 1/2. pretty sure my under steer problem was definitely tires as i had a hard time stopping.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm only running full stiff rebound. compression is not adjustable. If you run too much compression, it will bounce the car all over, no? Because the MR2's suspension especially the rear has so little camber gain, it helps the car a lot to stay flatter on corner entry, much better front and rear traction.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
much more important than running stiffer - quicker weight transfer is to dial in more static camber. I always hated the crash bolts that always slipped but getting the aftermarket camber bolts (they all say SPC on the bolt) did the trick.

After dialing in around 3* of camber all around, the car has so much more grip. The steering feel is also much more linear. I think all of the "bad feeling" is from the tires rolling over onto the sidewalls. The best thing about having the right camber is somehow it reduces rear inner wheel spin on corner exit. Can't explain it but it's true.

I'm so happy with my mkii now that I don't even think about getting another car that "handles well".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts