MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2B560C3D-A7F6-4BFC-9177-3C1B876CE671.jpeg
Still new to the MR2 world and needing help finding this part or at least the part number. Can’t really find anything on it any help please.

·
Registered
4,403 Posts
Summit racing has generic breather filters.

What gen motor do you have? OEM’s usually route valve cover breather to pre-turbo intake. This results in a slight vacuum

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
View attachment 75542 Still new to the MR2 world and needing help finding this part or at least the part number. Can’t really find anything on it any help please.
This is not a standard MR2 motor. It is the GEN4 3SGTE from an ST215 Caldina. Normally there is a long steel tube that has a rubber hose that joins into the intake pipe after the air filter but before the turbo. If this photo is of your car then you will need to get a tube fitting added in so you can either route the hose to the intake pipe of fit a small air filter like the one just to the bottom right of your red circle. There is no part number for it as it is part of the valve cover.

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
I was gonna place an oil catch can in its place. Any recommendations?
If you are going this route, get one that works. Not just a generic metal container with some ports and a single baffle.
I'll give examples of the type I'm thinking of but that doesn't limit you to these.
Radium Universal Single Catch Can
Racer X FR-S / BRZ / GT86 Catch Can

The catch can should have filters and baffles in it to actually work. This should still be plumbed back to the intake pipe so the engine can pull a vacuum on it.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
This is not a standard MR2 motor. It is the GEN4 3SGTE from an ST215 Caldina. Normally there is a long steel tube that has a rubber hose that joins into the intake pipe after the air filter but before the turbo. If this photo is of your car then you will need to get a tube fitting added in so you can either route the hose to the intake pipe of fit a small air filter like the one just to the bottom right of your red circle. There is no part number for it as it is part of the valve cover.
Interesting. Yes, I am purchasing the vehicle from a guy in Houston. I need to see what I can do to the car to get that repaired then. Thank you for the information.
If you are going this route, get one that works. Not just a generic metal container with some ports and a single baffle.
I'll give examples of the type I'm thinking of but that doesn't limit you to these.
Radium Universal Single Catch Can
Racer X FR-S / BRZ / GT86 Catch Can

The catch can should have filters and baffles in it to actually work. This should still be plumbed back to the intake pipe so the engine can pull a vacuum on it.
understood and again, thank you very much. I am looking at valve covers to see what the outlet looks like so I can maybe match it

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Interesting. Yes, I am purchasing the vehicle from a guy in Houston. I need to see what I can do to the car to get that repaired then. Thank you for the information.

understood and again, thank you very much. I am looking at valve covers to see what the outlet looks like so I can maybe match it
The OEM tube is just press fit. You can spin it if you stick a screw driver in it because it is bent. Here is mine. Sorry, not great photos. You can see the stock rubber hose in the last photo. This won't be like this on yours.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The OEM tube is just press fit. You can spin it if you stick a screw driver in it because it is bent. Here is mine. Sorry, not great photos. You can see the stock rubber hose in the last photo. This won't be like this on yours.
View attachment 75554

View attachment 75555
View attachment 75556
Ah ok, yeah I am finding out it’s definitely a tough part to find if not impossible without a whole valve cover like you said. Worst case I guess if I needed to I could buy a different valve cover. There has got to be something I can find though.

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Ah ok, yeah I am finding out it’s definitely a tough part to find if not impossible without a whole valve cover like you said. Worst case I guess if I needed to I could buy a different valve cover. There has got to be something I can find though.
You could look at these press in AN fittings? A little OTT though. Really, all you need is a tube that is the correct OD, tap it in with a hammer and clamp on hose.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The radium press fits are very nice, the only downside to them for the MR2 Gen 4 valve cover is it points you 90 degrees from where you are usually routing the tubing. We used this press fit MR2 Valve Cover AN Fittings and hose ends for our Gen 4 swap.

Heres a few pics for reference:

That looks really clean actually. Id rather that than the stock press fitting. I will be heading to going to yall to get that same set up. Thanks for the info

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The radium press fits are very nice, the only downside to them for the MR2 Gen 4 valve cover is it points you 90 degrees from where you are usually routing the tubing. We used this press fit MR2 Valve Cover AN Fittings and hose ends for our Gen 4 swap.

Dude I am sorry but dumb questions here..... What size is that? The -10 or -12?

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts

Quite right. Those are more suited to the 2JZ engine. It was more the idea than the actual product. Good to see there are some more simple press fit AN fittings available for the GEN4.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts