MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
CapoArgentino said:
I think most people that say they had fitment issues most likely didnt know what they were doing.
I worked as a race mechanic for over 5 years on everything from Formula V's & shifter karts to Formula Atlantics, GT 5's to GT1's.

I guess I need to call you next time the holes don't line up because it must be me.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
David Hawkins said:
Well Josh, your issue was 2 years ago. Have you tried one recently? We've got a Mishi radiator in one of the race cars. Fit was perfect. Our only issue was that the bleeder on top galled and stripped (admittedly, it was put on a car with cooling issues and we were taking that off A LOT). We tapped it and put a bolt in it. Eventually, I'll probably try to fit a ball valve.
Mine was bought about 6 months ago. Issues persist.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I can only speak for myself, and I deff knew what I was doing haha but it was slightly over a year ago, in my Civic they did not line up that great and the rad cap was horrible to take off and put on, but like I said this is just my experience I am gonna spend the extra for a Koyo

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
senna21 said:
I worked as a race mechanic for over 5 years on everything from Formula V's & shifter karts to Formula Atlantics, GT 5's to GT1's.

I guess I need to call you next time the holes don't line up because it must be me.
As a race mechanic, does everything line up on the race car? when it gets damaged do you throw a fit when something doesnt line up?

I have one waiting to go in when I do a waterpump change since the system will be open. I will be re using the stock fans and shrouds. the car was in a front end collision years ago so I dont expect anything to line up. It is not hard to drill holes, or cut tabs in your stock fan shrouds, let alone make custom mounting brackets.

I will be contacting mish since there is no -an cap.

·
Premium Member
4,659 Posts
we used to sell quite a few of these, the cap needs to be installed prior to the radiator going in the car, the factory fans need to be modified if being used, hince the reason we used to tell everyone that they should run the mishimoto fan shroud if they want a fan kit that "almost" fits correctly but other than that we never had an issue, I have personally installed plenty of them and run one on my personal car and had no issues. Its just like anything else that is cheap out there... its not made to be perfect its made to be an inexpensive all aluminum replacement. If the mr2 crowd was not so cheap we would all be running around with PWR radiators but that is simply not the case... I too fit in that crowd. They have good customer support and will warranty just about anything. Now does that help you on a Saturday afternoon when you are installing it and only have 1 day left to get your car back together to make it to work on Monday... no but if you are not in a huge rush, they will take care of just about any problem.

And just an FYI... Koyo does not make a radiator for the SW20. So its either a cheap China brand, PWR or back to OEM. Or if you just have tons of cash to blow you can have a custom one made.

·
Premium Member
3,072 Posts
Apokryphos said:
As a race mechanic, does everything line up on the race car? when it gets damaged do you throw a fit when something doesnt line up?

I have one waiting to go in when I do a waterpump change since the system will be open. I will be re using the stock fans and shrouds. the car was in a front end collision years ago so I dont expect anything to line up. It is not hard to drill holes, or cut tabs in your stock fan shrouds, let alone make custom mounting brackets.

I will be contacting mish since there is no -an cap.
On a race car? Absolutely. Why on god's green earth would you think it wouldn't? When the nut behind the wheel malfunctions and puts it off the track or into a wall, you replace the parts. Bent wishbone? unbolt the old one grab the new one, and guess what? It'll fit perfectly unless the chassis has been damaged. If that's the case your weekend is over, you pack it up and go home and then repair that. But that's apples to oranges and I really hope you?re not an attorney or you'd starve to death making those kinds of arguments. I expect it on a road car as well.

When I buy something that's advertised as "Direct fit no modifications needed" I expect a direct fit where I won't need to make any modifications. Stupid me thinking all my years of experiencing exactly that was the exception rather than the rule.

As for your perceived issue of the fans possibly not fitting due to your accident, they have nothing to do with the chassis. They bolt directly to the radiator and don't come close to contact with the frame or bodywork. If your car was repaired properly the radiator should fit with a bit of wiggling.

·
Registered
20,021 Posts
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
senna21 said:
On a race car? Absolutely. Why on god's green earth would you think it wouldn't? When the nut behind the wheel malfunctions and puts it off the track or into a wall, you replace the parts. Bent wishbone? unbolt the old one grab the new one, and guess what? It'll fit perfectly unless the chassis has been damaged. If that's the case your weekend is over, you pack it up and go home and then repair that. But that's apples to oranges and I really hope you?re not an attorney or you'd starve to death making those kinds of arguments. I expect it on a road car as well.

When I buy something that's advertised as "Direct fit no modifications needed" I expect a direct fit where I won't need to make any modifications. Stupid me thinking all my years of experiencing exactly that was the exception rather than the rule.

As for your perceived issue of the fans possibly not fitting due to your accident, they have nothing to do with the chassis. They bolt directly to the radiator and don't come close to contact with the frame or bodywork. If your car was repaired properly the radiator should fit with a bit of wiggling.
you forgot to mention that a race car is a fine tuned instrument and EVERYTHING goes together with the utmost precision. it's not like you're building derby cars lol

can just see the F1, NASCAR, IRL,SCCA, etc. guys having to do a pit stop repair and parts don't fit.... "hey billy, grab the BFH and let's 'massage' this" lol

·
Registered
9,051 Posts
thank goodness I got the PWR radiator when it was cheaper :) no fitment issues what so ever. turbo fans would bolt up perfectly (but I went with two 12" spal fans)

after reading a few posts.. just gotta comment about the car that got into an accident.. if your chassis is bent out of shape, I would rather fix that part (maybe tweaked or destroyed lower radiator support or whatever it is) before even putting any part back into the car. Sounds like a mickey mouse way to make things "work".

I would be pissed if I had to modify anything to make it fit IF it was made for said application.

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Honestly, I have one of the first ones sold. It sat for a few years in the shop. I installed it a few months ago. It went right in. No issues. Everything bolted up.
I still despise that cheasey bleeder. I ended up putting a ball valve on it. makes bleeding so freaking easy. Fans needed "adjusted", but nothing too bad.

I prefer the Wizard Radiators. Light years better build than this one. But for something that was cheaper than stock...

·
Registered
2,860 Posts
Bill Strong said:
Honestly, I have one of the first ones sold. It sat for a few years in the shop. I installed it a few months ago. It went right in. No issues. Everything bolted up.
so says the guy with a hammer, angle grinder, sawzall, and welding mask in the picture of his radiator install. ROFL

·
Registered
310 Posts
I have had two of their radiators in my car and both of them fit in without any problems...
the only problem I had during installation was bolting stock fans, the bottom bolts barely go in and the top ones didn't even line up...i ended up using zip tie to secure the top half...overall the fitment isn't that bad...

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
Fobangn said:
so says the guy with a hammer, angle grinder, sawzall, and welding mask in the picture of his radiator install. ROFL
That kinda made me chuckle as well. The only thing missing was a couple of blasting caps.

·
Registered
2,657 Posts
Mine fit alright. I only had to mod my radiator fans to fit, but it was pretty painless. I had a cracked NA radiator so it was a huge improvement for me and a heck of a lot cheaper than a Toyota one. (we'll have to see how it holds up though. 2 years and ticking.)

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
My front bumper is molded, so it ended up being a pain in the ass. I also added some ebay silicone radiator hoses ($66 shipped for all hoses) they were really tight and needed trimming as well, they were too long (also a pain).

the bottom fan tabs needed slight enlargement of the mounting holes. not a whole lot of cutting was needed. I zip tied the top tabs because they didn't line up whatsoever with the fans. mishimoto sent me decals (that are way too big) and the bleeder cap for free.

the only thing that didnt line up with the messed up body is one of the lower radiator supports.
i did this mid-july or near the end if i remember right.

this is a 91 NA with a 1mz swap.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
senna21 said:
I can see this being a big problem when vendors on this forum sell these radiators as being direct fit, and come to find out, customers throw fits when they aren't.

I wish it was direct fit too, I would have saved lots of time and swearing. But its aftermarket, and I expect fitment issues or tricks to learn through these things.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
No longer have my 03 but when i did change to the mishimoto, fitment does not quite line up. Had to stretch/dremel fan shroud to so i would fit (barely). Ran that for about 6 months or so then a small crack started without me knowing, then it got worst/bigger leaking toyota red coolant all over my driveway. Had to use a bottle of BAR's Leak sealer bought at Autozone to hold me over til i got the factory one back on

Just my experience i wanted to share

41 - 60 of 83 Posts