MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
going to do some minor maintenances on my 91 NA 5spd, which includes changing the gear oil, flush the cooling system and replace the oil pan and spark plugs. just curious, I heard a lot of good new about Redline MT-90 therefore I am planning to get them, but how many quarts? and where can I get them at good price online? also how many bottles of antifreeze will I need to refill the cooling system? what brand of spark plus would you guys suggest? about the oil pan, the reason I wanna replace it is because I recently replaced the timing belt, head gasket and water pump, but I noticed the car still leaks oil altho not as bad as it used to be. therefore I thought maybe the oil pan needs to be replaced. just wondering how hard would it be? any thoughts would be appreciated....thanks

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
2.7L of tranny fluid.. buy 2 gallons of UNMIXED coolant. i think it takes 3.5 gallons so you'll have a little left over.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
2.7L?? that's not even 3 qts, are you sure that will be enough altho I don't wanna have too much unused oil left since redline is pretty expensive but I also don't want the car to run without enough gear oil....

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
NA transmission doesn't hold three quarts. Not only that but you won't get all of the old fluid out of the tranny so you won't fit the capacity of 2.7 quarts into it. That why, especially if you're changing fluids, you need to redrain and refill it after driving it for a week.

FYI:According to the last TSB from Toyota the S54 transmission calls for a GL5 fluid. MT-90 is GL4.

·
Pay for quality, not name
2,026 Posts
From what I understand, there is no gasket. OEM is a just a good bead of silicone. Although a buddy of mine (fellow MR2 owner) says you can get an aftermarket cork gasket from somewhere Advance Auto.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
^ hes right. just take the pan off, clean it (and where it mounts to the engine) up really really good (use plenty of Berkebile 2+2 or equiv.) and run a bead of RTV around the oil pan. then just put it back on.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dijital357 said:
^ hes right. just take the pan off, clean it (and where it mounts to the engine) up really really good (use plenty of Berkebile 2+2 or equiv.) and run a bead of RTV around the oil pan. then just put it back on.
sorry to ask...but wat is berkebile 2+2 and RTV??? wat does it look like and what does it do?? and btw is it difficult to remove the oil pan?? thanks

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Gairloch said:
FYI:According to the last TSB from Toyota the S54 transmission calls for a GL5 fluid. MT-90 is GL4.
so does that mean if I used MT-90, it will be bad for the car???

·
Registered
5,843 Posts
I am running MT-90 the BGB says 2.7 quarts. I just did the job ordered three qaurts from summitracing.com. MT-90 works just fine i love the feel nice and smooth.

My car runs fine and Mister2 also used to run MT-90.

Summitracing.com is the cheapest i could find and i got a free hat with my purchase :-D.

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
orge1126 said:
sorry to ask...but wat is berkebile 2+2 and RTV??? wat does it look like and what does it do?? and btw is it difficult to remove the oil pan?? thanks
berkebile 2+2 is basically carburator cleaner. its just my favorite kind. it comes in a blue can with a black top. RTV is silicone sealer, it usually comes in several different colors (strengths) and is in a tube that looks like toothpaste.

orge1126 said:
so does that mean if I used MT-90, it will be bad for the car???
not necessarily. it is suspected that it could possibly cause synchro issues later, but there is so much conflicting evidence, that im not sure i believe any of it. im running it, works wonderfully. makes shifts so smooth.

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
cool. just bought 3 qts today near my area....altho it's a bit expensive ($10/qt) but i would give it a try......gonna do it this weekend..

1 - 16 of 16 Posts