1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
It will have a different fuel map, timing and probably increase or even remove the rev limiter. There are actually a massive amount of plug in aftermarket for the JDM SW20 3SGTE. But I don't know how many were actually sold and are still around. You would need at least 100 RON octane fuel to safely run these ECUs.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well yeah I know that but how much is the rev limit changed? Fuel cut usually gets bumped up and speed cut removed. I wish I could find documentation on what has been done to the ecus but it seems like it never comes up. I have a gen3 rom tuned ecu that I can't find any information on, wish I knew what has been done to it.

·
Registered
7,467 Posts
As GD11 said there are many aftermarket EMS out there now which allow you to completely control and tune your engine. I would not even consider an older piggy back system anymore. Tech had moved on.

jim

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
As GD11 said there are many aftermarket EMS out there now which allow you to completely control and tune your engine. I would not even consider an older piggy back system anymore. Tech had moved on.

jim
2x II (i)(eyes) GDB Impreza, Second GEN GD chassis. GD2 or GDII. Roman numerals. @GDII OMG my OCD is bad...

It's not a piggyback system, it's a full replacement like a LINK Plugin you can buy these days. Which for a plugin is a superior unit vs any other plugin unit you can buy for the 3SGTE. Sure there are better ECUs now but they are all wire in.

And when I say many aftermarket ECUs, I mean complete replacement units like this by different Japanese manufactures. Pick up a copy of Hyper Rev magazine volume 21 and 50 and you'll see 2+ full pages of units from the 90s you could buy then. I'm not talking about the current stock, I'm talking about competitors to the Mines ECU of the time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I don't recommend using any of the Japanese chipped ECUs, they rely on Japanese 100 RON fuel as said before. If you have 95 AKI fuel in your area they should be safe to run but in sunny CA the best we can do is 91 AKI which will destroy the engine. Doesn't help that in some of those ECUs some tuners thought you react to knock by advancing ignition timing to "catch" the knock. I wish I was kidding.

Engine calibration is one of those things where the end consumer has no understanding of how hard it is to actually do right so the labor is highly undervalued on the direct to consumer market.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Because tuning a standalone is so easy
My recommendation for a standalone is reverse engineer the OEM map and port it to the standalone. Some people have already done some of the work for you on these forums, just look at the shape of the VE curve and use measurements from a point that you know to derive the actual values based on the relative values.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
My recommendation for a standalone is reverse engineer the OEM map and port it to the standalone. Some people have already done some of the work for you on these forums, just look at the shape of the VE curve and use measurements from a point that you know to derive the actual values based on the relative values.
You should write a how to if it's that simple

·
Registered
118 Posts
I think the interesting thing about this--as I understand it-- is that it is a GEN4 Mine's ECU, which I too didn't know exist. I've seen/heard about the Gen2 and Gen3 Various ECU's (Mine's, Blitz, Etc. Etc.) but not GEN4. Neat.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think the interesting thing about this--as I understand it-- is that it is a GEN4 Mine's ECU, which I too didn't know exist. I've seen/heard about the Gen2 and Gen3 Various ECU's (Mine's, Blitz, Etc. Etc.) but not GEN4. Neat.
How did I miss that...
Even more reason to run high octane fuel with higher compression and the GEN4 only being made for the Japanese market where they have access to that fuel.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I mean yeah that's why I posted it, I didn't know they existed either, glad you caught on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts