MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a really nice Milwaukee 18v cordless tool set. The batteries are 48-11-2230 NiCd. The batteries are dead. All I need are the battery "guts." I've removed them from the cases. But, it appears from my looking around that there are no clear batteries to buy. Most of the reviews tend to say the replacement batteries will not hold a charge, and the prices vary widely. I certainly do not want to buy a whole new set of cordless tools. This set rocks! Anyone have any experience buying replacement batteries to put in the original casings?

·
6,095 Posts
Once you start using a brushless lithium drill you'll never go back to the old brushed nicad/nimh drills. Don't be cheap, that drill has more than paid itself off by now spending more money on that ancient platform is throwing good money after bad.

That being said if you're really in love with the humongous thing (seriously it's almost a foot long) you will have to buy 15 sub c sized nimh cells per pack and then have tabs spot welded together in the same configuration as the original. Battery technology has improved quite a bit in the nimh world, you'll get more than double the original capacity that the original nicad batteries had. I can't find any cells that I would feel very confident about assembling into a pack on ebay, you may have luck with tenergy cells but I wouldn't put a lot of money on it.

·
Registered
538 Posts
NiCd is a horrible battery technology. There’s a reason it’s basically never used now.

For probably what you’d spend on some decent NiCd batteries for your old tools, you can get a full set of brushes Lithium batt tools that will absolutely blow your old NiCd stuff away. Spend a bit more and get a brushless Lithium set.

There’s a reason NiCd tools don’t really have any resale value now...

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I just love these tools, and I don't have the money to buy a new set. I really appreciate the advice, and yes, I will upgrade eventually.

·
6,095 Posts
I would just buy the chinese ones you see for sale, you won't be able to build a set of them for what 2 of the chinese ones sell for.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I know. I was just curious if there is a "brand" better than others? I would love to buy a new set, but I just do not have the money.

There are a ton of these batteries out there, but they all come with very mixed reviews. Typically, I look for a brand or manufacture which has good reviews, then buy what I need.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts