MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yeah, so monday night I blow my head gasket between 3 and 4, so I got my ride in my garage, head coming off and I was thinking about milling the head down a little while I'm at it, any one tried it? What should I take off for a little extra boost? 10, 20 thou? How much would make it a crash motor? Any ideas? Is it worth it? thanx in advance :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
i shaved the head on mine with a bunch of other work as well. it will increase your comp. but not enough to notice. cant remember how much i had shaved off though. i would only recommend machining only if the head is warped and if you do take it to someone who knows import engines. also do not have the faces of the valves cut unless they absolutely possitively need to be cut.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
Compression will increase by approximately 0.1:1 for each .004" milled off the head.

·
Registered
377 Posts
What is a reasonable amount to mill off the head? Something where you would feel the increase in compression, but it would not be detrimental to the engine.

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
I doubt if you will be able to mill enough to "feel" it. Even if you milled .040" off (which is a LOT) you'd only get about 2HP - all other things being equal.

·
Administrator
42,296 Posts
You only mill the head enough to remove the imperfections. In fact keeping as much on the head as you can is better.
If your head is warped and you slice and dice the face to get it flat you then take a chance on breaking cam shafts as the centerline on those babies are now bannana shapped once the head is torqued.
Look at doing the job yourself. Get a SONiC head lapper.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Oh, well If it's not really worth it, I'll just have it flatten out. mental105, What do you think about using lapping compound on the valves, I did this to a 22r and It seem to work very well.
Also, yall, how can I get pix on here? I got a sweet digital cam for Christmas and I've got cool pix of the head gasket with the chunk out between 3 and 4! also have pics of the 02' spider wheels I just brought home from work.
I'm really surprised how good the cylinder wall look after 181k milie, my 88' with 101K miles didn't have the cross hair at all at the top of the walls! This allways was a stronger motor than that one lol.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
OK, brought the head in to work today and took the valves out and took the head to the machine shop. they said the head looked good, so I told em to just take off what it needed and clean it up. The valves don't even look like they need lapping! Got a head kit coming, from Toyota.
Can any one tell me how to get these pix up here?

·
Registered
37 Posts
lappin the valves is the best thing to do for a toyota. when i rebuilt my engine (before workin for toyota) didn't know bout the shims on the buckets. had the valves cut and didn't have the stems cut. ended up costin about $80 for new shims.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts