MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is a 1991 MR2T Turbo, with 134,000 miles on it. The car is pretty damn good shape for it's age, and ran perfect on the test drive.

I noticed 4th gear is a bit nothcy, where is a cheap place to pick up a used 93 tranny with LSD?

Coolent level was low, couldnt see it when I opened the cap, but tempurature stayed normal while driving and while sitting in the parking lot.

Body is all straight, and car is a clean title, I ran carfax already.

It's got a pretty damn nice stereo.

He is an older fellow, at least compared to me :) And says he never beats on the car. It has a ported intake mani and a custom exhaust which has cats and sounds stock.

Car felt kind of wobbly on the freeway? Normal for a MR setup? I noticed this on another MR2 as well.

It's got some generic, aftermarket 16's on it, which are better then stock at least. He also has OEM exhaust, not sure about the wheels.

He was asking 7,800, I offered 6,500, and he said 7,000 right away. I said I think that is to much for a 91 with 134k miles, and he said he would call me tomorrow. I think he will agree to my price.

However, is $6,500 still to much for a 91 with 134k miles??

The tires are pretty much bald in the rear..225's New, mismatched tires in front.

No leaks or wind noise from t-tops. Very little wear on drivers seat.

I will have a mechanic do a test on it before purchase of course, but would appreciate all of your opinions, esspecially on the price.

Main thing on my mind..is do I get volks/susp or a CT27 + a lot more o_O LOL

I would have the entire car detailed, cut down and everything, I would paint the moldings white to match, clears, and full 94+ tail section right away.

Here is a link.

http://www.craigslist.org/sby/car/57554745.html

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I also need a place to buy the full 94 tail conversion including center piece, and lock.

Also need a good place to buy the fron clears, I havnt been able to find anything searching??

And as I said, a used 93+ tranny with LSD and shifter linkage as well.

I REALLY appreciate all help recieved!

·
Registered
401 Posts
lol, my car has 210,000 on the chassis! but the rebuilt engine has 74,000 and I paid 3200 for her.

anyway I think thats a fair price. If she runs good then get her. You'll love it. I have a blast when I rocket down the express lanes.
R u going to do a swap? That's what I'm going to do.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Don't plan on any swaps. EVENTAULLY, but not anytime soon really, a rebuild with forged internals and a big turbo is in store.. But the motors got to last me a while for now.

I think after a major buff I can have this paint looking near new condition, the car is in pretty damn good shape.

Car just needs nice wheels and some power! Along with what I said I would do above.

·
Registered
821 Posts
It looks like a deal, but the asking price is a little too high IMO. He might just be trying to make back some money from the porting/exhaust/wheels etc. The price sounds nice, but I bet you could wager it down a little more.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
$6,500 too high huh.. I kinda already offered it to him, so I don't know how I could go back on it if I wanted. He hasnt even accpeted my $6,500 price offer yet.

Also, the wheels and such were on the car when he bought it.

I am also looking at a Teal 93T Turbo with 93k miles. I may go look at that this weekend. It's in great condtion from what I can see so far, asking price is "9k with little flexibility" it is compleatly stock, always garaged, ect. I jus't dont know about teal... Anyone want to post pics of some nice teals to convince me?? :) I have not had much luck finding much of anything..

91' White with 134k for 6.5k + mods that I can do after buying
93' Teal with 93k for 9k with not being able to do many mods.

HMMMMMMMMMMMMMM

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I paid $4K on my 93 MR2T with 131K miles so that price is still kinda high.
You ALWAYS hear stories like this. Some day I'm sure I'll hear about how somebody scored a 95' Turbo with 30,000 mi for $1,000 from an elderly woman who didn't know what she had. And I'm sure a lot of them are true. It's ultimately meaningless. It's all about the condition of the car. Where did it live most it's life? How was it treated? I got some MR2 parts from east coast cars which rust like crazy, and after seeing the condition they were in compared to my stock parts, I would NEVER own an east coast car. I wouldn't even buy parts from a car I suspected lived in the east coast or rust belt.

The mileage is a tad high for $6500-7000, but if he's replaced the clutch and timing belt recently, then don't worry about it. You're getting a fair deal. Not a steal, but a fair deal. The 3S-GTE is bomb proof. No rust, look for all the usuals, check for bondo around the major crash areas (headlights, rear bumper/fender) and you'll be all right.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Little tiny bit of bondo on the rear quarter, but it was a good job, and the untrained eye will NEVER notice it. I checked the entire car with a measuring device. Origional clutch I think, and I think the tranny may be going bad ( It's just kinda notchy, and the clutch is kinda odd ), but its got a new water pump, timing belt, altenator.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
Unless he's got some major money in maintenance (which by the sound of the tranny he's not exactly fixing everything that gos on it), I'd pay in the neighborhood of 5 to 5500. 6500 is too high for something that will need a new tranny...those are $2000 alone. Clutch and timing belt alone will cost you $1000.

Unless the thing has some redeeming qualities I'd talk him down further. Just cause you originally offered 6500 doesn't mean its a contract. Tell him you researched and found better deals and think he's asking too much, but to call you if he can't sell it. Sometimes a few months of sitting on a car offer motivation!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks for the reply Justin.

Like I said, Timing belt, along with water pump and altenator has recently been changed. Only thing I see maybe going wrong with the car is the tranny. Car needs a mojor detail, but that is only because I'm anal about paint, it is in great condtion for the age and mileage. Also, bald rear tires.

When/If he calls me today like he is suppose to, I will lower my price a bit more. Thanks for the adivce.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
JsnMR2 said:
Like I said, Timing belt, along with water pump and altenator has recently been changed.
Sorry must have missed that. But hell, even a decent set of rear tires are gonna set you back 200-300. For the price he is asking there needs to be something stand out about the car, and theres just not IMO. Also, I think you'll have a hard time getting him to come down 2 grand. I'd let him stew on it awhile and come down himself, and in the meantime look at the some other cars. Bet you'll find some better deals out there!

OH! and the wobbly issue...that is NOT normal. Defintiely have it checked BEFORE discussing price!

J

·
0 Posts
Ah, I love Craigslist, that's where I bought my 2. Look at as many MR2s as you can and then you'll know which one to buy. I checked out a couple before I finally bought mine, but when I finally drove it, and he told me the price, I knew it was the one I wanted. I couldn't give you more advice than that, because I'm not extremely big on the turbo models.

·
Registered
523 Posts
Dude get the 93T instead. You said yourself you are looking for a 93T transmission if you get the 91T, that is easily $2k right there for part + installation. Plus its got lower mileage, bigger brakes, lowered and revised suspension, and other goodies.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, it is a nicer car, but it's teal...lol I will hopefully be going to see it this weekend. I'm hoping to end up with it by next week, but I have not thrown out the white one just yet.

·
Premium Member
11,234 Posts
JsnMR2 said:
Yeah, it is a nicer car, but it's teal...lol I will hopefully be going to see it this weekend. I'm hoping to end up with it by next week, but I have not thrown out the white one just yet.

A high quality paint job is cheaper than a '93 tranny + install!!

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I suppose different people have different opinions on "quality" paint jobs. A quality job IMO is no less then 4-5k. An OK job imo is 3-3.5kish range.

Then again, I probably have higher standards when it comes to paint over anyone on this forum.

My black Z, before it was sold, has NEVER once been washed, without getting a full detail including buff/polish/wax EVERY time which was at least once weekly..Just an example.. Swirls were nearly non-existant which is a feat on a black car.

I was told I can get a brand new 93 tranny with LSD for 1.8k. It can't cost TO much to install it.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts