MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Is the air conditioner on or off? Without more information, one could suggest refilling your left blinker fluid. A few things cause screeching noise. Belts, air conditioner, alternator...that's about it. Everything else on a MR2 is electrical. The best option is to just lift the engine lid and listen while someone else starts your car. If you cannot pin point the location, my dad taught me an old trick about using a broomstick or screwdriver or anything solid and place it in various locations on the engine and put your ear to the other end. Sound will travel through the rod to your ear. This is how we determine which valve is clacking on motors.

·
Registered
1995 JDM Turbo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Is the air conditioner on or off? Without more information, one could suggest refilling your left blinker fluid. A few things cause screeching noise. Belts, air conditioner, alternator...that's about it. Everything else on a MR2 is electrical. The best option is to just lift the engine lid and listen while someone else starts your car. If you cannot pin point the location, my dad taught me an old trick about using a broomstick or screwdriver or anything solid and place it in various locations on the engine and put your ear to the other end. Sound will travel through the rod to your ear. This is how we determine which valve is clacking on motors.
The AC was on for the clip, i will try the screwdriver trick, the thing is it doesnt happen every time either

·
Registered
645 Posts
In all seriousness though check all your intercooler plumbing, throttle body bolt torque, everything to see if you have a boost/vaccum leak, and do the screwdriver or mechanics' stethoscope. I was never able to do the stethoscope because it would go away by time I got it out of the tool box and opened the engine lid.

·
Registered
1995 JDM Turbo
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
In all seriousness though check all your intercooler plumbing, throttle body bolt torque, everything to see if you have a boost/vaccum leak, and do the screwdriver or mechanics' stethoscope. I was never able to do the stethoscope because it would go away by time I got it out of the tool box and opened the engine lid.
ill do this with the stethoscope if the BOV block off plate doesnt fix it ty for the help

·
Premium Member
1,553 Posts
Interesting. Up front noise? The idler pully on the belt has been known to make noise after some time. It should change significantly with RPM. I did not hear an RPM related type of screech though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts