MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does megasquirt work with the gen 5? I can’t find any documented info on anyone running MS with a gen 5.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
I'm running on my gen 3, rev 5 model. Not sure what the differences would be with gen 5 (COP, etc) but the MS3 could handle if so. Link or Haltech may be another option to consider.

jimb

·
Super Moderator
3,014 Posts
No one makes a plug and play ECU for the GEN5 3SGTE. But it's just like any 4 cylinder engine with COP. Although it has a 2 wire knock sensor. Your only solution is a wire in ECU.
LINK Monsoon or better will run it. Haltech Elite 1000. Motec M400 might work too.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
You definitely don't want to start with a MS PNP2. For one, it's a very old/outdated ECU at this point based on MS2, and two, you'd be doing so much wiring you might as well start with a wire-in ECU. I had one installed on my SW20 when I bought it, and it experienced 2 hardware failures in 6 months as well...

I'm selling my AEM Infinity 506 which will easily run a Gen 5 3S-GTE (I upgraded to an Infinity 708 with more I/O for nerdy experiments). I was running my Gen 2 3S-GTE with coilpacks and a Gen 4 MAP sensor (plus other stuff). It has a good feature set of I/O, and I documented the wiring harness here for a Gen2. It would be easy to look at the BGB and find your harness wire that corresponds to that function using that as a guide.

The Infinity 506 has I/O more inline with the upper end Haltech/mid-level Link ECUs, so it can do things like wheel speed traction control, has a very fast onboard wideband controller, plenty of temperatures and inputs to run your engine and allow you lots of control over it.

IMO, the issue with low end Haltechs is the I/O is severely constrained, and by the time you get a wideband on it and get things running nicely with user input switches, AC running nicely etc. you're at a fairly eye watering price. To put it in perspective, the low end Infinity Series 3 has more I/O than the top of the line Haltech Elite 2500 out of the box. The Elite software is easy to use in some cases, and kind of difficult in others (my opinion). Link is better priced on features, but I didn't like the software when I poked around in it for a bit.

I personally think the AEM Infinity Tuner software is very easy to use. Basically all the underlying setup is done in an easy to use wizard that updates the layout, then you use the pages of those controls to change values.

The 506 will do flex fuel, different octane fuel/ignition maps, different traction control settings etc. All easy to setup.

Honestly, if I didn't do AEM Infinity again, I was pretty close to either a top of the line Link (but software was a turnoff) or a MaxxECU which are priced competitively and seem fairly feature rich.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You definitely don't want to start with a MS PNP2. For one, it's a very old/outdated ECU at this point based on MS2, and two, you'd be doing so much wiring you might as well start with a wire-in ECU. I had one installed on my SW20 when I bought it, and it experienced 2 hardware failures in 6 months as well...

I'm selling my AEM Infinity 506 which will easily run a Gen 5 3S-GTE (I upgraded to an Infinity 708 with more I/O for nerdy experiments). I was running my Gen 2 3S-GTE with coilpacks and a Gen 4 MAP sensor (plus other stuff). It has a good feature set of I/O, and I documented the wiring harness here for a Gen2. It would be easy to look at the BGB and find your harness wire that corresponds to that function using that as a guide.

The Infinity 506 has I/O more inline with the upper end Haltech/mid-level Link ECUs, so it can do things like wheel speed traction control, has a very fast onboard wideband controller, plenty of temperatures and inputs to run your engine and allow you lots of control over it.

IMO, the issue with low end Haltechs is the I/O is severely constrained, and by the time you get a wideband on it and get things running nicely with user input switches, AC running nicely etc. you're at a fairly eye watering price. To put it in perspective, the low end Infinity Series 3 has more I/O than the top of the line Haltech Elite 2500 out of the box. The Elite software is easy to use in some cases, and kind of difficult in others (my opinion). Link is better priced on features, but I didn't like the software when I poked around in it for a bit.

I personally think the AEM Infinity Tuner software is very easy to use. Basically all the underlying setup is done in an easy to use wizard that updates the layout, then you use the pages of those controls to change values.

The 506 will do flex fuel, different octane fuel/ignition maps, different traction control settings etc. All easy to setup.

Honestly, if I didn't do AEM Infinity again, I was pretty close to either a top of the line Link (but software was a turnoff) or a MaxxECU which are priced competitively and seem fairly feature rich.
really useful info here. I'll make sure to bookmark this. thanks for your input!
And how much would you be willing to let your infinity 506 go for? Just wondering.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
really useful info here. I'll make sure to bookmark this. thanks for your input!
And how much would you be willing to let your infinity 506 go for? Just wondering.
Was thinking $1100 shipped for 506 + 80 pin connector. But if it goes to an MR2 guy, I’m thinking $1000 shipped for the above. I can also get you other AEM parts for a good price (I have a wholesale account).

I would suggest adding a fuel pressure sensor (fueling is accurately calculated on actual fuel pressure, which does vary for most setups), and at least one switch/12 position pot to control boost/maps. I also have a 3 position switch for traction control slip target (wet/dry/off). Reading my build thread in the SW20 section (search Turquoise Awesomeness) covers a lot of these details.

But once you learn to tune your car yourself, it’s really liberating and you understand the car way better. Warning, it is a lot of time to do a super clean tune. Probably 20-30 hrs of time for a bunch of tune/test loops, and there will still be room to clean little things up like starting, throttle transients etc. I personally enjoy it, but don’t expect it to be a 20-30 min process then you’ve got an OEM level tune.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Was thinking $1100 shipped for 506 + 80 pin connector. But if it goes to an MR2 guy, I’m thinking $1000 shipped for the above. I can also get you other AEM parts for a good price (I have a wholesale account).

I would suggest adding a fuel pressure sensor (fueling is accurately calculated on actual fuel pressure, which does vary for most setups), and at least one switch/12 position pot to control boost/maps. I also have a 3 position switch for traction control slip target (wet/dry/off). Reading my build thread in the SW20 section (search Turquoise Awesomeness) covers a lot of these details.

But once you learn to tune your car yourself, it’s really liberating and you understand the car way better. Warning, it is a lot of time to do a super clean tune. Probably 20-30 hrs of time for a bunch of tune/test loops, and there will still be room to clean little things up like starting, throttle transients etc. I personally enjoy it, but don’t expect it to be a 20-30 min process then you’ve got an OEM level tune.
I plan on getting everything professionally tuned to avoid any mishaps. As much as I want to dive into the world of tuning, I think it's something best left to the pros.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I’d caution that a good tune does take A LOT of hours to develop. Just a few hours with a tuner will only cover the basics.

I’d make sure the ecu platform you go with is something your tuner is familiar with. AEM is pretty popular in the states.

·
Registered
7,841 Posts
If you install a wideband O2 auto tunning is a good way to dial in car on road. Dyno time is important with a professional but that will only take you so far.

Some EMS are easier to tune than others which is why it’s important to find your preferred shop first and ask for recommendations. I’m still a MS fan myself as I didn’t have a local shop and MS offers great online support and a DIY attitude. Even when help is required it’s just a couple of mouse clicks away using thier website forum. MS3 systems are much better than the MS2 platforms listed above and can handle a gen5 engine but unfortunately not PNP.

jimb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts