MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
873 Posts
bentheswift said:
If you add grip to the front of the car but not to the rear, what happens... oversteer! And oversteer progressively getting worse as speed increases is... a recipe for killing yourself. Aero packages must be thought out so as to provide a top view center of pressure that is near the center of gravity, so as to provide stability and intuitive grip as speed changes... but big, blunt, closed-cabin passenger cars such as an MR2 and every other street car don't generate much if any downforce (at least not even on the same order as mechanical grip) without much more aggressive modifications than your scoop. Nor do they go fast enough that it matters (regardless of how much we'd like to think it does). Otherwise we'd have a lot more MR2 owners spinning when they decide to go street racing at high speeds, or if lucky at track day.
I don't necessarily believe that venting the air over the hood rather than under the car yields any noticeable downforce; however, judging by how floaty the front of these cars get at high speeds, I wouldn't consider more downforce on the front a "recipe for killing yourself."

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I am working on my modification to give me downforce, for my time attack project car, here is my front radiator duct (same as sir nathan freke's car).

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
still have to modify hood,

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Nice! I see that you didn't waste anytime installing it Deseroner :thumbup ! Do you have any plans on making the hole on the hood bigger? Do you have any pictures on the firewall?

·
Registered
3,147 Posts
qmtran said:

if you look closely seems like they modded the gas cover to suck in air too! ahah

i love the way the amuse bonnet looks. and i never knew the border was meant to grab air from above the rad. always thought the true border version was vented by cutting behind the rad. good info on this thread!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Alex Jacome said:
Nice! I see that you didn't waste anytime installing it Deseroner :thumbup ! Do you have any plans on making the hole on the hood bigger? Do you have any pictures on the firewall?
yup, have to modified the hood for the duct and also the firewall.it is not actually on yet , just test fitted and need to tap holes.

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
deseroner, i like it. so many haters out there that will tell you it's "wrong" or won't work, but unless you test it in a wind tunnel, words mean nothing! take it to the track.

also, i can't understand why it wouldn't be helpful as almost all MR supercars utilize the same kind of ducting. i know they are "proper" ways to do things, but i can't see it being too different to be detrimental. DIY aero ftw!

some of the best racing is done in R & D....

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
deseroner, i like it. so many haters out there that will tell you it's "wrong" or won't work, but unless you test it in a wind tunnel, words mean nothing! take it to the track.

also, i can't understand why it wouldn't be helpful as almost all MR supercars utilize the same kind of ducting. i know they are "proper" ways to do things, but i can't see it being too different to be detrimental. DIY aero ftw!

look at this time attack car

·
Premium Member
510 Posts

In deed that si so true! There are many after maket hood kit for exotics with the same concept of the air dam. I have seen them on Lamborghinis, GT40, NSX, Lotus, rossion Q1, and more that I can't think of from the top of my head :thumbup ! My boss took me for a ride in his Nobel M12 Twin Turbo and I took pictures of the entire car including the hood but this one is stock from the factory!

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Alex Jacome said:
In deed that si so true! There are many after maket hood kit for exotics with the same concept of the air dam. I have seen them on Lamborghinis, GT40, NSX, Lotus, rossion Q1, and more that I can't think of from the top of my head :thumbup ! My boss took me for a ride in his Nobel M12 Twin Turbo and I took pictures of the entire car including the hood but this one is stock from the factory!

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
here are some more pics close up , it is installed, but hood needs modification

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Alex Jacome said:
Let me also contribute! BTW Deseroner did you have a hard time cutting the hole in your firewall because I did :mad: !

nice duct also, yeah I did I first used a saw saw, and then cut around firewall.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
ok I did the cut on the hood to match duct,still more work to come.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
deseroner said:
nice duct also, yeah I did I first used a saw saw, and then cut around firewall.
buy an angle grinder and cutting discs. they make light work of cutting metal and leave a very good finish. i cut the entire frunk area out of an mr2 with one in about an hour in perfect straight lines lol.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
Jim2109 said:
buy an angle grinder and cutting discs. they make light work of cutting metal and leave a very good finish. i cut the entire frunk area out of an mr2 with one in about an hour in perfect straight lines lol.
I have a angle grinder, but what disc should I get to smooth it out.I was planning on taking it to a body shop so they can smooth it just like alex's hood

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
deseroner said:
I have a angle grinder, but what disc should I get to smooth it out.I was planning on taking it to a body shop so they can smooth it just like alex's hood
I used a carbon disk with my grinder to cut the hole out and then I used 80 grid sand paper wrapped around a piece of rectangular wood to get straight smooth lines and rounded edges :thumbup ! it took me quite a while.

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
deseroner said:
its the cutting disc you want to use with the angle grinder, it will cut perfect edges so youll hardly have to smooth them. its obviously too late now, but thats the way most people do it. just a thin 2-3mm cutting disc (or the imperial equivalent)

for finishing its probably best to use a "flap disc". they look like this....

41 - 60 of 73 Posts