MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the pros and cons of setting up ball and spring MBC directly from compressor compared to tee off the bov hose. Boostvalve.com recommends off bov for more modified engines. Your opinions?

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
It really doesn't make any difference. Because of the pressure drop across the IC and the TB, manifold pressure will always be a little lower then pressure at the turbo outlet, but regardless of where you take the signal from, its going to be whatever you set it at.

If you want 15 psi manifold pressure, and your boost gauge is connected to a manifold source, you simply adjust the MBC your boost pressure, as measured by the gauge, is 15.

BTW, the OEM system takes the signal from the turbo outlet.

bill

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Don't use the stock BOV tap. The stock BOV needs it to remain reponsive. Besides, the MBC might leak. You are asking for problems.

Use the turbo compressor tap. Here's my reasoning: If you have a boost leak, it's much easier to diagnose. Besides, your turbo isn't working as hard. The ideas most have of "what boost is safe" are usually based on the compressor pressures.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I was concerned about running a lot of hoses off of the ONE tap at the intake mani.

I have ... boost gauge, line to wastegate, and something else I cant remember, all coming off the 1 tap from the Mani. Is this a bad thing? I would assume so. Is there another tap on the manifold to hook up to?

BTW I have a TD06 which doesnt have a tap on the compressor to hook up to (that I can find)

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
872 Posts
You can tap the compressor with an 1/8 hose barb since you dont have one . That is what I did for mine , and I used it for both internal and external setups.

·
Registered
4,344 Posts
Do what Godzilla says and tap the turbo. If you have a vacuum leak, you want to know it's not from the wastegate. You want the vacuum devices (like the BOV) to work correctly. I really believe the best place is coming off the turbo, and you should use a threaded hose barb if your TD06 doesn't come with one.

·
Registered
673 Posts
So you all are saying that I should drill a hole in my compressor housing and tap a barb there? Am I understanding you correctly?

If thats what you mean... whats the next best option. I dont want to be pulling apart my turbo and drilling a hole in the compressor housing, I just dont see it as being worth THAT much trouble for me. It works the way it is. Too many times I go to do an easy job, and it ends up being a TOTAL PITA and ends in something screwed up (part of working on a 14 year old car!)

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK, you think that the throttle body feed tube is a good place to do thid? im tapping there anyway for WI.

·
Premium Member
12,271 Posts
killwitten819 said:
I was concerned about running a lot of hoses off of the ONE tap at the intake mani.

I have ... boost gauge, line to wastegate, and something else I cant remember, all coming off the 1 tap from the Mani. Is this a bad thing? I would assume so. Is there another tap on the manifold to hook up to?

It doesn't make any difference. There is not flow or air movement in the hoses, only changes in pressure. And all of the hoses connect back to the same source, the manifold, anyway.

Pressure changes are transmitted simultaneously and uniformly everywhere.

bill

·
Registered
3,797 Posts
From the link I gave you, plus you don't have to drill anything on the car and make it easier for you.

"Performance Tip
When increasing the boost pressure to higher levels (15 psi or higher), you will get more accurate, responsive and stable boost pressure by using a pressure supply line directly from the engine inlet manifold after the throttle body housing instead of the pressure line from the pressure side of the turbo as stated in step 3 above. By supplying the pressure directly from the engine inlet manifold, pressure effects due to air being forced through the connecting pipes and intercooler are eliminated from the operation of the wastegate actuator system. Ensure any previous pressure supply lines after the turbo are appropriately blocked."
hope that helps.

·
Registered
673 Posts
OK, thanks for your help guys, it is much appreciated.

Sorry about that jose rosario, I didnt even see the link you provided. My bad.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts