MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
History: 91 NA chassis with 94 3SGTE

Already have 94 rear brake assembly that came with the clip...performed wonderfully last year...

Question is...if I upgraded to the 94 front brake assembly as well, would you think the master cylinder would need to be upgraded as well, or would the NA cylinder support what was needed?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
i hear you can upgrade the master cylinder by using a 4-runner master cylinder....you might want to see if anyone else has any other thoughts on that though....

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
The 93+ master cylinder is definetly a good idea. The brakes will work and feel better. I felt the difference when I put the 93 master cylinder on.

·
Registered
400 Posts
So (I've read the post above), did anyone try to upgrade the mastercilinder first? Does that help already?

I have a 1991 turbo and the car breaks fast enough (I can get it to let the ABS work), but the initial feel of breaking doesn't feel as 'bity' as on, for example, my motorbike (Honda VFR750F 1991) or as in my dad's Peugeot 307. I would like to improve that.

·
Registered
449 Posts
the abs units make the car feel like it brakes less, in my personal opinion. of the two cars, the SMG car has ABS, and my Aquamarine car has not. I prefer the braking feel in my Aquamarine car, FEELS like it stops harder and is more responsive. It makes sense that it would be, with the ABS actuator in the way between the MC & the caliper pistons.

does anyone know what brake master cylinder brad badell put on his V6 mr2? I read in USCC about his brake upgrade, but it was very vague and i can never find anything on the board about his upgrade.

-D

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I installed my 93 MC before I did the rest. It made the pedal alot firmer. It (the pedal) literally felt like a Porsche Carrera(it just didn't have the stopping power). I now have only the 93rear brakes installed and the pedal is still firm, I'm waiting on my front calipers still.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts