MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont know about the rest of u but that black strip that runs down the side of the car and over the door is ugly. i want to just have all body with no lines. i need to know how to do this. do i sand it down flush and then paint, or do i take that black strip off and fill it in with some type of material that can be painted? either way i have to paint my car because i have a body kit so paintin is not an issue any recomendations?

·
Registered
327 Posts
You have to shave the strips and then fill them in with some material but can't remember what. The problem is that if it's not done correctly, the filling will crack from bumps on the road and it'll look like hell. The other way is to weld the sides but with that method, it's hard not to deform the metal from the heat.

I'm no expert in this area by any means so don't take my words for scripture. This is just all the info that I've found out cuz I was thinking about doing it too.

·
Registered
2,926 Posts
I take it your car isn't black? Well for the longest time I wanted to shave the molding down the side of the car. But there isn't a real easy way to do it. Welding... unless the body shop has lots of time and has mad skrillz with a welder its very hard to do. Thats alot to fill in and the heat will definitly warp the metal. Plus the front and rear sections have plastic bumpers so you cant weld them. I would recomend having the molding painted the same color as your car I think that would look the best. But if you decide to shave it, check out the body shop you choose and make sure theyv'e done something like that before.

·
Registered
904 Posts
do a quick search on this... Ive done a couple write ups on how to do this, both with welding and fiberglass...Welding is the correct option... But fiberglass and fiberglass enforced fillers will hold for a few years of gental use...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts