MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got in a new toy that allows me to datalog and real time tune the stock ECU (with rom board installed). It's so awesome to see exactly what the ECU is doing with the fuel/timing maps. I spent a few hours tweaking a customer car (that was part of the rom tune group buy).

Previously we never offered/recommended the ATS fuel pressure regulator with the TD06 rom tune packages. But I got a chance to tune two cars with extra fuel in the last couple of weeks. Here is the most recent:

93 MR2
ATS 2.2 stroker
stock head, cams, cam gears, etc.
XS power Side Mount intercooler (ala Greddy copy)
ATS fuel rail
ATS FPR
550cc inejctors
Walbro Fuel Pump
ATS single exit exhaust
ATS TD06
ATS Rom Tune
CM stage 4 clutch
CM Aluminum Flywheel

The blip at the end is the rev limiter...oops. This was 21 psi on a 50/50 mix of 93 octane and 110 race gas. We kept the power from totally dropping off by leaning it out just a little bit as the torque dropped.

Pump gas was the usual 310whp at 17psi.

Aaron

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
Congratulations Aaron! Looks like your new toy is helping produce great numbers.

Bruce

·
Registered
2,298 Posts
Hmmmmmm Looks good, I might have to have you retune my gforce which I didn't even get to install yet or doesn't it make that much of a difference meaning would it benefit me to get it done again or a waste of time?

·
Registered
4,993 Posts
good job :p! also i read in the power primer (i think) that 11.5 to 1 is the best afr. so at 4-5k rpms it goes a little rich. that's good during spool up right? also, seems to be a little lean from begining. i'm just trying to learn something about afr on dyno's.

the afr seems very consistent and optimal for the setup.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
landin said:
Hmmmmmm Looks good, I might have to have you retune my gforce which I didn't even get to install yet or doesn't it make that much of a difference meaning would it benefit me to get it done again or a waste of time?
I'm wondering this as well but on a CT27 rom tune.

·
TD06 HP record holder
3,636 Posts
BDSL said:
What about ATS FPR on TD06 2.0L, not stroker???
Or there is no need for ATS FPR?
You will still need the FPR and you can still make the same power as the stroker but the stroker spools faster. (tourqe under the curve)

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
flynhighaf23 said:
nice numbers for a car w/stock cams, etc. how much more boost can that TD06 put out before its not efficient any more?
Well, we made over 390whp with this car/rom tune. but I didn't want to brag. :smile: Our turbo maxes out about 430whp.

Aaron

·
Registered
191 Posts
You run any of those car at a different set of rollers?
Also why do people go for the weak bottom end of the 2.2 (and less rev happy) the crank is made of Jelo isnt it LOL

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Wow, Poor "Jello crank" only good for 600-700 crank HP. I know that would make me sad. Oh wait those are just the best numbers that we have seen. Perhaps Aaron will better those numbers before the end of the year, either on his personal car,or a customer build.
Anybody have over 600 rwhp on a stroker motor yet? The dyno records on the top HP cars don't list cranks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
All i know is that how ever the usa calculate wheel HP make your cars put out a lot more HP @at the wheels than over in the UK with cars with similer specs dont get anywhere near the RWHP figures that you guys seem to hit.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
1fastsol said:
You will still need the FPR and you can still make the same power as the stroker but the stroker spools faster. (tourqe under the curve)
I remember Ken Blake mentioned that the ATS FPR is not required on the TD06 550cc Rom Tune package (2.0L turbo). The ATS TD06 package doesn't have the ATS FPR.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
BDSL said:
I remember Ken Blake mentioned that the ATS FPR is not required on the TD06 550cc Rom Tune package (2.0L turbo). The ATS TD06 package doesn't have the ATS FPR.
Did you read the first post in this thread?
ATSAaron said:
Previously we never offered/recommended the ATS fuel pressure regulator with the TD06 rom tune packages. But I got a chance to tune two cars with extra fuel in the last couple of weeks.
In a nutshell, without the ATS FPR the max power on the 550cc/TD06 kit will be about 330whp, with the ATS FPR the max power is about 370whp.

Hellboy said:
All i know is that how ever the usa calculate wheel HP make your cars put out a lot more HP @at the wheels than over in the UK with cars with similer specs dont get anywhere near the RWHP figures that you guys seem to hit.
Many of us have the 1/4 mile times that back up the horsepower. The dyno at ATS is a Dynojet 248 which is the standard in the US. They are all within about 1 percent of each other. I've dyno'd my personal car on three different dynojets and the horsepower was the same on all three. We do dyno days a couple times a year, and get many non-MR2's then. Some of the customers have dyno'd at other locations before or after they dyno'd at ATS and the results are consistent.

Aaron

·
Registered
4,634 Posts
Sounds like Hellboy needs to get soem ATS rom tune action to get the #s from his mods!
On a serious note, what are you measuring these agaisnt? What type of dyno are you using to generate the numbers? And make sure that the units are the same. Why are there two different gallons anyway? Who's idea was that?
I think that there is a British distributor for ATS. Perhaps you could contact them and try out some of the products and see if you don't register more output on the old butt dyno. :thumbup

·
Registered
191 Posts
well i have a ct20b, de cat, hks hyper single exit exhaust , hks super flow filter , blitz ecu. 1 bar of boost.

car is super heathy pulls like me in a whore house, but it is no where near the figures you chaps claim with similer mods.

its at most 215-220RWHP on UK Dynos ( about 260 calculated "fudged" Flywheel BHP) the most it made on a JDM stock ECU and JDM Ct26 at 13psi was 205RWHP with the above parts fitted.

·
Registered
8,816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Have you actually dyno'd your car?

There are several people on this board with similar mods to you, making similar power. I've dyno'd several near stock MR2's in the last month. Most with exhaust and boost controller are 200-210whp on our dyno. We've also dyno'd several bone stock MKII MR2's. The slowest was a 91 at around 152whp, and the best was a 95T (in EXCELLENT condition) at 164whp. Most dyno about 158whp.

Aaron

1 - 20 of 109 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.