MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im building a mr2 to run at about 250whp. the car will not be a drag car, it will be mostly used for windy roads, and cruising around town. somebody at my work said that if im making that much hp, they recommend getting a lsd, or i will just be burning off 1 tire constantly. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
if not planning on entering any drift competitions, then i wouldn't worry about it...maybe after your non lsd tranny starts to go bad you can upgrade

·
Registered
351 Posts
i think you should get it it will also improve the cars ability to corner better.
i got one VLSD for my N/A. cant ait till i install it in.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
I can tell you first hand that not having LSD with higher hp just plain sucks. With 250whp, you might get away with not having LSD if you have 245 wide wheels in the back.

This is the problem that happens without LSD that really bites. Once that one wheel starts to spin, it starts going faster (and it is going to be the passenger side that does it). So now that the passenger rear tire is going faster, the front end of your car is going to want to go towards the left (driver's side) and it is going to do it real fast. Now if you are quick, you can steer right to fix it...but if you are not, you are going to run into problems real fast -- like oncoming traffic. Not a pleasant thought is it.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
hmmmm this sounds like it could be a problem then... will the cars tire really spin like that and cause me to crash? i mean i have a hard time losing traction with my two becuase it has so much weight on the rear wheels. i dont plan on burning the thing out, and i know that does the jerking to the side thing. i used to do that all the time with my 240sx in the rain, (it didnt have lsd).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Its not that bad. Yes, it will sometimes pull to one side, but you have to try, and its not uncontrollable. I can think several time going into second, burning off the tires and pointing towards the left, but your gonna have to drive the car regardless, its not going to drive itself. ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
hey matt i noticed you are in norcal, are there ever any local meets? i happen to live in norcal as well.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Not having an LSD in these cars are a lot less of a problem than in other cars because of its MR configuration. MR2s have MUCH better traction than most FR cars, so you can get away without an LSD for a while. My 91 Turbo was putting down about 250whp and I never had one instance where it would "wander" on launch. As long as you don't fall asleep when launching, you should be fine.

I would only recommend spending the money for an LSD when your transmission goes out and you need to replace it. When that time comes (and it will with a 91 tranny), pick up a nice 93 tranny with LSD. That will be more than you'll need.

·
Premium Member
825 Posts
Toyota must of thought it was a good ideal to start adding(or optional?) it to later '93+ models. That's why I'm putting one in my 92T.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
There are several LSD tranny's for sale in the parts forums.
And pretty darn reasonable too....
I am currently doing the 91 to 93 LSD swap.
The 91 tranny is out, going to swap parts over the next few days while I'm working and then HOPEFULLY stick it in Wed evening.

I go over some really tight winding roads (10-20 mph corners), and its the wet season, and the inside tire always spins around every corner if I get on the gas even a little.

I'd say go for it if you can find a good deal and especially if you can do the work yourself!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts