MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
TimStephens said:
FWIT, we're doing the very same on our MKIII GT racecar. In our case, it is a complete redesign of the rear end, taking the Spyder hard top design to a fastback with much lower trailing edge. While we have no way of comparing the before and after in a wind tunnel but it is expected that w/o rear wing, it should reduce drag marginally and w/ rear wing, it will massively increase the efficiency of the wing.

Pictures of the plug process thus far: MR-S.R Fastback Plug

We can produce virtually any body pieces for any car desired... A simple fastback fill-in panel for a MK2 should be a very easy part to develop.

Tim
I just checked the build pic's. Well done with the build. very impressed with the cage and its structure.

·
Registered
259 Posts
As far as cooling goes, I mounted the intercooler above the rocker cover then fabricated an intake which forcces all the air into the IC then over the rockercover then exits through holes cut in the truck firewall and vents at the rear. My intake temps are at 20-25C on a 32C day
which I find quite effective. Since it is basically separate from the factory airflow into the engine bay there is no clashing of air flow which solves that issue but as far as aero goes, I cant answer as I have not pushed the car over 110 though a corner to see its effects but it must be an improvement on the original engine cover for airflow and cooling. A undertray will far more with downforce along with improved air management after the air has performed its cooling then exits the engine bay as well as exiting the air from the radiator.
The nervousness of the MKII in higher speed corners can also be settled with suspension and geometry upgrades, improving balance by shifting weight around the car to reach a close as possible 50/50 weight distribution.

·
Registered
472 Posts
so before this goes way too far off subject, do we have a line on anyone willing or able to make a decent fastback for our 2's that wont cost $700 before shipping?

looks alone will sell a ton of them if they dont cost so much.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
i would be willing to get one for like 300-400 shipped range

·
Registered
525 Posts
^No comprendo, man. Go back to the original thread and check out the photos. Most of them are not widebodied. And look nothing like a Probe. If someone does this and it turns out looking like a probe, they did something wrong. Really wrong.

·
Registered
472 Posts
its all in the eye of the beholder, to me it gives it more of a fararri look/feel, that and i need the extra room. Shouldnt be hard to make i would think, not any more difficult than any other engine cover.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Fastback for MR2

I have read through all of the posts which seem related to this project by HolyMR2 -- I find no progress photos or final product info. I tried to send a PM to HolyMR2 but was unable because his incomming message box was full and would not accept any new messages -- does anyone know status and/or what has transpired since 2010/2011?? I don't monitor MR2OC regularly so would appreciate some kind of reply direct to me at [email protected] as well as any update post --

21 - 36 of 36 Posts