MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally got the second engine in (this time seems to be a good one).
After spending a week figuring out the things I screwed up: 2&3 wires swapped, exhaust cam off a tooth, and distrubutor off a tooth, it still isn't running right. Rough idle, so rich that my eyes burn, and a slight off idle hesitation. Did the carb cleaner trick and discovered there is a vacuum leak. All hoses triple checked, BTW mine has no vacuum reservoir that I can find.
Poured some water where the Toysport intake manifold adapter met the head, and it was sucked into the engine right away.
I reused the original manifold gasket and coated the mating surfaces with Black RTV. Is that where I went wrong? Should I use a different grade RTV, or just clean the surfaces and get a new gasket?
BTW for those of you that suspect a vacuum leak, my brakes required noticably more force to apply than I remember, leading me to investigate a vacuum leak.
Oh, Bill, you were right. I should have just bolted the original head to the bottom end. Would have been cleaner, cheaper, and faster (better cams?).
Live and learn.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
make sure the bolts are tq'd to spec... I had a vac leak at my TB once with a brand new gasket... I Tq'd down the bolts a bit more and the leak was gone.

Marco

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, found the problem. The Toysport Manifold adapter doesn't fit completely. It leaves a small gap where the original manifold meets it. Not humongous, maybe the size of a large nail clipping, but on every cylinder. I just got done plugging it with some RTV, but started the car right after I finished. It immediately sucked the material in, so I had to unbolt the fuel rail and do it again. After it cures fully, I will try starting the car again.
I will let you guys know, but for those of you doing a small port swap, do what Bill suggests, and just put on the original head. I wish I had, but the original motor is long gone. I will get a hold of Toysport, and let them know of the problem.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
why not use the small port manifold??

1 - 9 of 9 Posts