MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Every now and then when I accelerate my car used to bog. It was never very bothersome, but it has gotten really bad lately. It doesn't do it more often... but it is more severe.

It used to be more of a hesitation, and now when it does it (which isn't all that often) it feels like fuel has totally been cut off repeatedly. It usually happens when I'm accelerating in second gear and lasts for 2-3 seconds and then it's fine.

The only things I can think of from my lack of knowledge would be:
1) Bad Fuel Filter
2) Bad Ignition Coil

I'm hoping it's only the fuel filter... but then again I know nothing. Are these things possible? Are there other things that would be more likely?

Thanks once again,
Chris

*EDIT: I did a full tune-up not too long ago so I'm thinking it's none of that stuff but suggest them anyway if they are likely. (Cap, Rotor, Wires, Plugs, O2 Sensor, Timing Belt, Water Pump, Drive Belt)

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
I did a search and was suprised to find many people with this problem, but only a few solutions. Diffrent things worked for different people.

Some say it's the O2 Sensor which makes me feel uncomfortable because I just put a new one in, yet every now and then my car acts weird since I installed it. Sometimes at a cold start up it will idle at high RPMs, and all of a sudden "pop" and the needle will drop down, and then jump back to where it was. Once again like the fuel was just cut off.

1) Replacing the ground wire worked for someone, but mine looks fine.
2) I was thinking fuel filter, and was not the only one, but it didn't solve the problem for anyone. (can't hurt to replace)
3) I read to check and clean the battery connection because they can get pretty rusty over time, but said that only helped little.
4) Was suggested to replace the MAP sensor which could make sense, but then again, didn't cure it for anyone.
5) Possibly a clogged catalitic converter. Possible for bogging, but I doubt that is what's causing my problem.
6) The ignition coil. That's what I was thinking. It worked for someone, and others it did nothing.
7) What I might look into, is a compression test. It could explain the bogging, but I doubt bad compression can cause bogging to this severity. I'm sure my compression isn't perfect, but it doesn't "feel" like that could be it. It feels more of an ignition/fuel problem.
8) It was suggested to check the timing, but my timing was good when I checked it late summer. Again, it doesn't "feel" like that would be it.

This problem is only occasional and it seems to be gradually getting worse. It kinda feels like your clutch is slipping while accelerating in lower RPMs, and all of a sudden it grips again, and slips, and grips, quickly like a stroble light. It used to be slight bogging, and now it's actually become jerky when it does happen.

Any input will be appreciated. Seems like a few had this problem. If you could just tell me what did the trick for you when you experienced this problem, that would be just grreeat... Or if you think of something that hasn't been listed I'll take it into consideration.

·
Registered
443 Posts
I have the same problem with my 1991 NA, it hesitates under acceleration from around 2000-3000 rpm range. Only sometimes, I did a complete tune up with new plugs, cap rotor, made sure the timing was on, nothing seems to help, wtf? No CEL either...

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
well.......Same here and it wont go away. I'm done w/ this 5sfe crap. I'm tired of being beat by suv's and soccer moms in the straights. I'm tired of making excuses like "well at least my car will pwn in the twisties" to compensate for my slow straight line car. It's loud and slow. When it comes down to it, there are plenty of cars out there that can hold there own with a MKII in the twisties. Our cars are overweight and underpowered. Why couldn't we at least get the 3sge here?

No more hesitation for me...no more exhaust leaks. Hopefully I'll be making posts such as "fuel cut?" and "boost gauge install Q". lol As soon as I save up some money from this new job, I'm swapping. I didn't really wanna go 3sgte but it seems to be the cheapest route for the biggest power gain and I'm sick of the truck feeling revs of my 5sfe. Ideally I'd love to be V6 or even more than that Beams....But what can I say other than expensive and major pita. Not tryin to hate as I still love the 5SFE, but it's time for me to move on.

·
Registered
443 Posts
^^Agreed, I got smoked by some stupid small 4 cylinder toyota pickup the other day. (better power-to-weight ratio) 120hp/2400lbs for a 2wd 1990 standard cab.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
Replaced my coil today. The old one looked kinda rusty and what not. Seemed to help some. Now I need a new OEM 02 sensor. If that doesn't cure it then I give up. I'll save for a swap.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Let me know how it goes. The "Seemed to help some" doesn't sound like it made a noticable difference.

·
Registered
540 Posts
i use to have the same problem and it ended up being oil inside the distirbutor. i just bought a re-seal kit from k-box and re-sealed it and it ran good!!!

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Interesting.
1) What is k-box?
2) How much is a re-seal kit?
3) How difficult is it to install?

Thanks for the input lino.

·
Since 1999*
7,117 Posts
I ran some seafoam through my engine again today through the vacuum line. That helped some. The new coil seemed to have helped a lot. For some reason it seems like it just keeps getting better now. Pulls better from lower RPMs. I think I've made the determination that I only have this problem at about half throttle and under 3500 rpms. The power feels like it cuts in and out. I think I'm gonna replace the distributor oil seal and see if maybe that's causing my problem.

I plan on making a thread on this problem later if I end up fixing it. I want to list everything that I did, (in order), and ask that everyone else who have or have had a simular problem do the same. Maybe we can make a list of troubleshooting. I've searched thread after thread on this topic and thought maybe this would help others.

·
Registered
540 Posts
Go to K-box.com and you can buy a re-seal kit for your distributor they have the way to do it on the web site or just post a question and he'll help you. it's pretty easy, but only do it if your getting oil in the dis.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts