MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hear there's an lsd that makes both wheels spin the same direction, then i hear that there's an lsd that can have the wheels spin in opposite directions.. i'm going nuts still hoping my trans has an lsd. I just went to the ricky n ronnies meet and someone told me that if there's a plate on the side facing the passenger side axle which has 7-8 bolts in it, it has an lsd. could someone please clear it up!!

- thanks, jeff

·
Original
10,788 Posts
LSD makes both wheels spin the same direction.....

if lsd made the rear wheels spin opposite directions, the car would turn like a tank, spin on a dime.

not sure if your trans has lsd, but my 89na (c52) does not have lsd, i burn off one tire at a time....

G

·
A helical(SP?) or gear driven lsd will make the wheels spin opposite ways. A viscious would spin the same way I think. But I'm pretty sure our cars didn't come with a VLSD.

And if the car came with an LSD stock it legaly has to say so somewhere on the car. Usually on the tranny, or in one of the door jams.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Original
10,788 Posts
no, an open diff will make the wheels spin opposite directions when the drive wheels are off the ground and you turn them by hand.

some open diffs will spin the wheels in the same direction, if the traction is the same between the both of them.

limited slip differntial: one wheel will make a few revolutions, the the viscous or clutch based differential will engage the other tire that doesnt have some traction

·
Registered
3,330 Posts
unless you got a tranny from a special super limited mr2 only made in 89 then chances are you dont have a LSD

·
Registered
103 Posts
When you jack your car up and spin the wheel, hold the one on the other side if it stops that wheel from turning but the one you are turning continues you do not have LSD. That is a definate.

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Quafe just called me. They have about 30 sets of LSDs in the USA now for sale for the SC and MK2 Turbo Transaxle. He will be emailing me the info and whome to contact. I will pass this on once I get it

·
Administrator
42,297 Posts
Bill,
As we discussed earlier the MR-2 differentials are back in stock. We ran a small batch for this first time around, with enough to satisfy all those who asked to be placed on the waiting list. We do anticipate running them again later this year, but we do not have them in the production schedule yet. As far as we know the part will fit the MR-2 SW20 supercharged and turbocharged models. One other note, we have had people asking if the same differential fits the new Scion Tc. We have discovered that it does not, just for future reference. Please let us know if there is anything else we can assist you with.

Quaife America - Jason Alvarez [[email protected]]
Jason Alvarez
Quaife Aftermarket Manager

·
Premium Member
16,626 Posts
More than you'll ever want to know about AW11 LSD's:

I have no idea - nor do I purport to - as to how any of the LSD's other than the clutch pack act when you rotate a wheel. If you put the trans in neutral and rotate one wheel, the other one will follow it, and you will not be able to stop it easily. If it is an open differential, you may get reverse, forward, or no rotation from the other wheel; but you will be able to hold it stationary easily.

If you put it in gear, with a LSD, and are able to physically overcome the clutch packs, the other wheel can (but won't necesarily) rotate in reverse. If it is an open diff, the other wheel will rotate backward easily.

That said - AFAIK, all the LSD's that were ever put in AW11's from the factory (and there were VERY few) were clutch types. They were never even an option in US cars, and only a handful made it to Canada in the SE's. Only the clutch types were avaliable from TRD in the late '80's, and lots of them (more than ever appeared from the factory) were sold. (Part #'s N/A 41301-AW001; S/C 41301-AW002. The 41301-AW001 was superceded by the 41301-AW004, and the 41301-AE000 helical was added in the early '90's. The S/C part was superceded by the 41301-SW202 from the SW20. they are currently available from TRD Japan for 90,000 (N/A) to 96,000 (S/C) yen.)

This one lives on my parts shelf, as a possible emergency replacement for the one in the race car.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
took a peek through the hole, turns out i do have one. no bar going through.. just a hole... :evillaugh

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
As far as I know the only model to have an Lsd was the Super Edition from Japan. I have had a few of those rear clips and they surely come with Lsd.

Mr2swift
Ron

·
Registered
41 Posts
So I had my car up in the air recently and turned a rear wheel and the other did not turn... The car was in neutral. Is this normal or is it possible that the PO put a lsd in?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ron (mr2swift),

lol i finally around to getting that SC motor in (after it has been sitting a FRIGGIN year in my garage). Turns out the thing was in great condition! Bad side was that it just has been sitting around forever. Car's gonna be running this thursday. Thanks again for the clip, i'll be sure to leave a rating for you on the forums, don't forget to do the same for me :).

thanks - jeff

·
Registered
8,297 Posts
yes and I am pretty sure that Jeff has a G-Limited 89 Clip. Just like a clip I had. Mine also has an LSD. :)

1 - 19 of 19 Posts