MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

61 - 69 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Had a bit of a windfall yesterday... I asked a machine shop that we partner with at my real job ;) if they had any large drops* of aluminum and they happened to have 8 large hunks of 7075-T651 (the most badass type of aluminum possible, 73ksi min yield with good corrosion resistance and still very machinable) that they're letting me have for a steal.

*drops = pieces of the part that are not used to make the finished good. Not the same as cuttings.

So now I'm getting 8 of 2" x 9" x 14" that I'll use for all of my motor mounts. I'm also going to have to manufacture a custom crossmember out of similar stuff, although i'll have to start with a piece that is about 2" x 12" x 40".

For now I'm playing with 2x12 lumber to mock up what these pieces will look like. I'll throw some pics up once i've got an idea.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #63
Going to attempt to digitize the trans and starter tomorrow... This should be really cool and is big. Will post pics.

For now, here's what 250 lbs of aluminum plate looks like. (7075-t651... So it's the good stuff)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
So it took me a little while but I finally got the laser working. I apologize for the pace but life happens and I want this right.

Next are the engine bay and LS4. From there I start designing and engineering mounts in 3d.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
Received my starter bracket from WCF and am not convinced this is the right direction for me.

The motor mount also seems to be I. The wrong orientation for the Spyder. Tempted to design my own mount and buy Brandon Furches' (Furches Permormance) LS4 starter oilpan. I've been watching him pretty closely on FB.

He's doing an undermount, motor side solution that eliminates or reduces the amount of hacking required on the F40. We shall see.

61 - 69 of 69 Posts