MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 111 Posts

·
Premium Member
1991 Celica Alltrac
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Official Plug n' Play Gen 3 and Gen 2 FCD Group Buy.

This group buy will end Tuesday October 9th 2012.

The price breakdown for the gen 3 FCD is as follows:

-$110 shipped for 5-9

-$100 shipped for 10-14

-$88 shipped for 15

*This GB will top out at 15 Units.*

The price breakdown for gen 2 units is as follows:

-$65 shipped for 5-9

-$55 shipped for 10-14

-$50 shipped for 15

*The gen 2 units will also top out at 15 units.*

Payment Information:

A $50 non-refundable deposit is required to be added to the GB list.

I also need the following information from you in order to be added.

-Full Name
-Paypal Email Address
-Motor Generation/year
-Desired PSI and fuel cut requirements.

My PayPal is: [email protected]

Method of Operation:

This graph shows a rough diagram of the voltage output from your MAP sensor during normal operation.

This graph shows a rough diagram of how the gen 3 map clamp type FCD operates without affecting your normal fuel map.

You can see here why a typical potentiometer based FCD like the Gen 2 FCD is unsuitable for use in a Gen 3 motor as it affects the voltage readout throughout the range of the sensor's output. It is perfectly fine, and cheaper to run an FCD like this in the Gen 2 because the Gen 2 motor uses a vane style mass airflow sensor to base its fueling off of. The Turbo pressure sensor on a gen 2 is merely a switch for the ECU to turn on fuel cut.

Proof the gen 3 works :)

Video

The gen 2 FCD has already been used successfully by many of my customers and has been proven to work already.

Also note, the gen 3 FCD will also work on gen 4 based motors. I just need to find out what the factory fuel cut levels are at...

Contact Information:

Im good with PMs

Txt me @ (913)240-6613, and be sure to pm me your s/n first so I know who you are.

Email me at: [email protected]

·
Registered
772 Posts
Gen 2 I think I need one. Hahah. Good deal.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Can you disable the "plug and play" and hardwire it into the harness by the ECU so it's not in the engine bay? Im assuming so. Does this only tap onto 2 of the wires? (green brown).

Also, I was playing with a Gen3 ST205 ECU and I datalogged the map voltage to the ECU. It hit fuel cut at 4.0V not 4.3V. It has puzzled me.. It was barely touching 17psi when it would hit fuel cut.

·
Premium Member
1991 Celica Alltrac
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
No, it taps into all three actually... the 5v signal is needed to power the Op Amp inside...

17psi seems low, usually fuel cut hits at ~19psi on a gen 3... I really feel like every car is a little different which means is probably important to simply tune the unit to your car...

The included directions will show you how to tune the FCD on the car. It does require just a little trial and error though.

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
My car also hit fuel cut slightly over 17psi.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
For me it was about 4v. Doesn't hurt to check.

So one pot is for the new fuel cut and the other is for tweeking it to allow maximum voltage before fuel cut (allowing max fuel)?

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
I like that, a lot! I just want it more hidden.. Shouldn't be hard. Any chance on just shipping the unit without the connectors? Or should I just buy it and hack it up? :)

BTW, whats the range of the adjustment pots?

Thanks,
Brian

·
Don't mess with Texas
19,880 Posts
l0ch0w said:
Hmm... maybe I should try fixing the gen 3 map sensor I have tonight to see what the exact voltages are right at 17psi...
Since it is adjustable luckily there should not be a problem that a little trial and error can not figure out.

The oddball thing about the 3rd gen fuel cut is there seems to be some form of time delay before it takes action or something as I have spiked as high as low 20's before boost cut kicked in and heard of guys spiking to almost 30psi. Yet when holding a steady boost it would trigger at ~17.5psi.

It would also not always allow such a high spike before cutting fuel either, it was pretty random.

I found the highest boost I could run reliably without triggering fuel cut on a regular basis was 17psi.

·
Registered
2,560 Posts
Texas_Ace said:
Since it is adjustable luckily there should not be a problem that a little trial and error can not figure out.

The oddball thing about the 3rd gen fuel cut is there seems to be some form of time delay before it takes action or something as I have spiked as high as low 20's before boost cut kicked in and heard of guys spiking to almost 30psi. Yet when holding a steady boost it would trigger at ~17.5psi.

It would also not always allow such a high spike before cutting fuel either, it was pretty random.

I found the highest boost I could run reliably without triggering fuel cut on a regular basis was 17psi.
EXACTLY! when the boost controller was set to around 17 psi it would hold and sometimes hit the fuel cut on it's own BUT a vacuum line broke and the wastegate stuck shut causing it to spike up once. I definatly saw the gauge hit the 20's before it hit fuel cut.

·
Premium Member
1991 Celica Alltrac
2,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
H Swint said:
How exactly do you adjust the gen2 version? I couldn't tell from the video.
The gen 2 version is far more simple, if you look at the graph in the OP, there is only 1 adjuster knob. I ship the gen 2 models with an adjustment scale sticker on them, it really couldnt be any simpler.

black93hardtop said:
I'm pretty sure it's the same. The Gen2 just has different values because of different fuel cut levels. I think...
The gen 2 FCDs are completely different in construction from the gen 3 ones. There is only one adjuster knob on the gen 2 FCD because the voltage does not need to be "clamped" rather the entire operating voltage is changed as you move the adjuster. Its only a single potentiometer based FCD.

scarecrowX said:
Not 100% sure, but the gen3 might work on the FD RX-7 as well.
Cool! I think it ought to work on some of the turbo Audi's and Volkswagen's also.

1 - 20 of 111 Posts