MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if this is a bad idea but what if while filling my enigine mounts i lowered the pin that the engine mounts bolt to. Not by much say maybe 1/2". Think it would cause any problems? I know alot of german cars have engine mounts that lower the engine and i havnt seen any solutions for the mr2. Any other ideas?

·
Registered
644 Posts
Be careful, you can change important axle angles and create clearance issues pretty easily with a slight change in the engine mount.

·
The System Is Startup!
1,942 Posts
Advantage lower center of gravity.

Disadvantage could make your suspension components and tires not last as long at least....Could brake your tranny or worse

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ward spose said:
Advantage lower center of gravity.

Disadvantage could make your suspension components and tires not last as long at least....Could brake your tranny or worse
hmm interesting. I dont see how to could affect the suspension or tires since the engine doesnt have any direct contact except through the cv joints but the cv joints are flexible. Can someone check if the cv joints are flat when weight is on the suspension? I dont see how 1/2" could make a drastic amount of difference in reliability. I have my engine out right now so i might as well do the 4 mounts :p

·
Premium Member
11,937 Posts
I think it's a good idea. not sure that it will make much of a difference unless you're doing some major autox or other types of racing. Otherwise keep it stock height.

·
The System Is Startup!
1,942 Posts
Hell try it our then.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Take a couple pictures of the engine setup under the car and post them for others to look at. Then you can see if the engine is going to bind up on anything like a crossmember... Also take a picture of the sides of the engine too.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I wouldn't imagine it would do anything to the negative effect. There's nothing wrong with changing up a little drivetrain geometry. Guys in the 4x4 world do it for more clearance in certain areas (flat belly for sliding over obstacles, or having a little more clearance underneath oil pan so it down't get clearanced by that Dana 60 axle. For this application I would be worried about the CV joints being overextended more than any other thing (in this case when the suspension bottoms out). I also think the stock exhaust would be able to comply with the small change. I say that as long as all the wiring has a little slack in it, there is enough clearance to do it, and the CV joints aren't already looking like \_/ (very over-dramatic, but you get the idea ...the more angle a CV joint is run at, the less the lifespan and power transfer to the wheels ...if it's the case that it makes the CV shaft more parallel with the ground, it may increase reliability and to a very small degree + gas mileage and ^ power) I don't see any other potential problems.

·
Banned
3,065 Posts
the cv joints would not be overextended, but rather pushed in farther towards the motor. i wouldn't do this without having a stiff ass suspension so there isn't any constant travel of the axles in and out. btw...the 4x4 guys have straight axles, and the only thing they gotta worry about is over-angling the UV joints. i like the idea tho, and would like to see if it turns out good for someone.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
FWIW nearly every mk1.5 swap uses the same axles as mk2 turbos, and the difference between the mounting positions of the engine from car to car can be pretty big (as much as probably 3 inches from furthest back to furthest foward), and similar with the height, and apart from the one Bill bought which had a problem with one of the axles falling out (!!) none of us have had problems with CV's binding or prematurely wearing, that I'm aware of.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Talk to some of the Honda guys if you think axle angles don't matter.

Some of the high powered guys went from busting $1500 axle sets every other pass to lasting a whole season on stock axles with a slight tweak to the motor mounts.

It might seem like a minuet point, but it may surprise you in the end.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts