MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i dont remember where i read it but i remember it said something like lower sideskirts equals better downforce... im thinkin that its just keepin the air from gettn underneath it and thus more downforce or less lift on the car ... Anybody know of some side skirts that are lower than most and is built sturdy? i want some
And if u could post some pics id appreciate it thnaks :thumbup

·
Registered
21,388 Posts
some skirts decrease lift by keeping the air from swooping under and lifting..

you'd notice when you're going 150+mph ;) just buy a skirt that you think looks good... chances are you'll never use it for its aerodynamics.

·
Registered
2,113 Posts
a huge GT wing and a huge lip with a difuser might give you good downforce and 600hp would be well enough to get you to 150mph+. where's this track your racing at im curious to see you run at 150mph+ with all that aerodynamic.

from what I read it seems that the sidesqirts do exactly as you say they keep the air from going under thus eliminating lift. you ever see what happens to those N1 rockets when they get lift going 150mph+. if im right most after marker lips or even sidsqirts are way lower than the mr2's stock ones. such as the chargespeed lip mand thats low. :thumbup

·
Registered
191 Posts
The overall effect of aerodynamics on a car is to firstly provide stability at high speeds. I think the magic number is like 74 mph, up until that speed aerodynamics really don't do a whole lot.

[soapbox mode - on]

As for downforce, the majority comes from the overall shape of the car. Sedans and family cars are all growing towards a similar shape to reduce drag and gain fuel efficiency. A lot of people think there's a great deal of drag generated by the rear window on our cars making the stock wing ineffective. That little lip where the third brake light is defeats a lot of that turbulance, plus with air coming in from the sides the wing gets exposed to a great deal of "smooth and clean" air.

Conceptually, keeping your engine covers, lip, etc. all in good shape would do a lot more aerodynamically than aftermarket sideskirts. The idea is to CONTROL the air going under your car. If you look under your car, you can see how the engineers have the air going under the car smooth out in some spots. You'd be surprised how much down force that generates. It's called a Bernoulli effect. When air moves faster in one spot, that generates a low pressure level. This turns into downforce or lift depending on where it's at, above or below the car.

With sedans, the air moves faster and smoother over the top than underneath because that's where most of the air is moved, sort of like when you put your thumb on a garden hose. This generates lift at high speeds, but then again these cars aren't designed to be driven at high speeds. Simply put, the engineers did quite a bit of work when they designed the MR2. To get significant downforce by "keeping air out" from under your car, you'd have to be riding less than an inch off the pavement.

[soapbox mode - off]

So... like TomsMR2 said, just buy some skirts that you think look good.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The aerodynamics of sideskirts was invented in the 70s by Lotus (in a F1 car). Rubber sideskirts were used to seal off the sides of the car to not keep air from going under the car, but to accelerate the air going through the underbody thats coming from the front. As air speeds ups, pressure is dropped which sucks the car down causing massive amounts of downforce with very minimal drag. Some teams improved this technique by allowing the sideskirts to move up and down so it would always be rubbing the ground and sealing the air in. Sides skirts were quickly banned afterwards.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts