MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to group, just bought a first gen non turbo 88 with a good Florida body and incredible interior. I need the groups help here. It would barely run when I picked it up missing badly and sounding like it was running on 2 cylinders at the most. Now i have it home it started once and now spins but will not fire. I pull the plugs and they are all soaked with fuel. I checked the spark after cleaning the plugs and it has spark. I obviously flooded the motor while cranking. So I do a compression test and have 60lbs on cylinder 1 (if number one is closest to the fender on passenger side) and barely any in the other 3! Is it possible I washed the cylinders down that badly? Or could it have jumped timing? I see the timing belt upper cover is missing so not sure if anyone's messed with it before or not. About to put a small amount of oil in each hole and see if it comes up. Can anyone tell me how to check the cam timing on it? Any advice is appreciated. Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
12,361 Posts
The Big Green Book is the factory service manual. You need to have it if you plan on working on this car. My copy is print, which I got along with my '86 car 35 years ago. It may be easier to find online, or it may be posted in this forum.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Photograph Font Rectangle Line Parallel

There should just be a plastic cover underneath you have to take off the have access to the crank pulley in the passenger side rear wheel. Easy with 2 people as you turn the crank clockwise have someone look and wait until the mark on the crank pulley is lined up and check the intake cam notch via oil filler cap. There should also be marks on the cam gears that should both be in the 12 o‘clock position When at TDC Also.

·
Registered
Red Mk1a Mr2
29 Posts
BGB Is a must have to maintain your MR2. I hope you didn't get a lemon because I had this happen on a 4 cylinder 95 Jeep Wrangler that was down on cylinder 3. Performance plummeted, mpg plummeted and fixing the exhaust / intake leaks, vacuum leaks, leaky injectors and valve seals + every gasket in between was no cake walk.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts