MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Let's face it, the mk1 horns are weak . The other day I was behind a minivan that didn't realize the light turned green. I honked my horn twice and the guy didn't even move. I thought he might have been slightly "challenged." Then the guy behind me in a Dodge honked and the minivan pulled away. He didn't even hear my horn!

So I bought a pair of the Hella Supertone Horns 85115 (118 db.; 300Hz Low; 500Hz High). They were louder, but they sounded like a Ferrari and I felt like a poseur, so I took 'em off. My 4runner horns are loud enough, so I tried some horns from a 1998-2000 4runner. Louder maybe, but with only a positive lead and the horn grounded they honked everytime power was applied (w/o pressing the horn button). Then I decided to take a look at what could be done with the mr2 horns.

The Problem:

There are two horns - a "low tone" horn and a "high tone" horn (they are marked as such on either the horn or bracket). The trouble is that the quieter "low tone" horn has a pretty unrestricted view out the grille and the louder "high tone" horn is hidden behind the radiator. Maybe Toyota didn't want them to be as loud as they could be.

The SOLUTION : Switch your Horns!!!

Switch them. It's that simple. All you've got to do is unplug the harnesses, remove the mounting bolts and switch the horn locations ("low tone" behind the radiator and the "high tone" in front of the radiator). Once the "high tone" horn is in the front, angle the support down slightly to help the noise clear the front bumper. Now my horns are awesome (better than the Hellas). The best part is that the mod is easy and it won't cost you a dime.

·
Registered
261 Posts
thanks now I might beable to pass the stupid inspection here in texas. My horn was not loud enuff.

thanks NHALE

·
Registered
278 Posts
Hmm...good tip. I was just looking into horns the other day, but if this is all it takes, Ill give it a try.

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
I'll be doing that soon, thanks on the tip!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I've always wondered how the Supertone horns sounded.

I don't know how a Ferrari horn sounds; is it deep, high, etc.?

·
Registered
40 Posts
Ouch, that's gotta hurt!

I'm gonna have to look into doing this tomorrow, I'm tired of not being able to get these boobs to move at green lights.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Why not use 2 of the loud 1s? I actually only have the 1 behind the radiator. I remember taking the other off but not why or what I did with it

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
I am just waiting for the mod where I switch my intake and exhaust manifold around and my engine will sound like the ferrari ;)

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
I'm glad everyone is finding this helpful. I was driving through a parking lot after the switch and a car pulled out in front of me from a blind spot, I honked the horn and the car threw on the brakes. I couldn't believe it.

CelicaTurboAWD & Ludeykrus: Thanks for posting the clip, I knew I'd get into trouble if I tried to explain how they sounded. The 85115 Hellas sound almost exactly (If not exactly) like those .

strangethursday: In theory, I would think two loud ones would work well, but I think any way you slice it the horn behind the radiator is going to be muffled. At some point I might tackle this problem by making another bracket and mounting the other horn in front of the radiator too. If you pick up another horn, just make sure that it has +/- leads. It seems that the newer Toyota horns have just a + and the horn itself is grounded, which wouldn't seem like much of a problem but when I mounted the horn and attached the + it honked w/o the horn button being pressed. I'm sure there's a way around it, but I gave up on figuring it out.

bcrdukes: Um, let' see... Pop the frunk. Remove the plastic cover that runs between the headlamps. You'll see the high tone horn behind the upper-right side the radiator. The low tone horn is just below the frunk latch mechanism in front of the radiator.

·
Registered
13,231 Posts
wow for such a long time, no one ever brought this up. thanks, i'm sure you're saving a lot of people a lot of time and money.

·
Duck Tape Level
1,331 Posts
Yeah thanks! I'm gonna try that out tomorrow!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I just did the horn switch, and it made a nice difference. I'm a complete neophyte, and it took me around 20-30 minutes. Very easy to do. Plus I discovered around 2lbs of leaves on my radiator grill that I managed to clear out. Worth 10hp easy :)

~ ~ Dave

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
That's awesome! Thanks for posting your results. I was getting a little worried that I was the only believer.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts