MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I took a gander down to Lotus of Scottsdale today to see what they had in stock and go test drive an Elise (since I haven't driven one before).

Wow. Their showroom is BEAUTIFUL. Millions of dollars worth of cars... it's hard to describe but I'd rather hang out there all day instead of Barrett-Jackson! Mostly because they were almost all mid-engined exotics mmm.

So anyway, the salesman saw me and promptly ignored me (wasn't expecting much of a greeting as I showed up in my Toyota Tundra). I went up to him and said: "Hi, are you Dan?"

Him: "Yes I am, how can I help you?"
Me: "blah blah blah, name drop, blah blah blah own my own business blah blah blah looking for an Elise"
Dan: "Ah, how soon were you looking to get into an Elise?"
Me: "Whenever I found the right one."
Dan: "Ok, follow me!"

And that's were the trouble started. Behind a vintaged painted Ford GT and a Lamborgini Gallardo sat my PERFECT Elise :eek: Starlight black exteriour, biscuit interior, hardtop, touring package, star shield. Everything I wanted in the car and nothing more.

Dan: "We usually don't offer test drives until the customer is ready to buy... but you sound like you know what you're doing so lets take one out shall we? I have one that's broken in already so you can get on the gas a little."
Me: "Sweet."

We go further back into the shop and I see a topless Saffron yellow Elise with a Lamborgini Diablo, a Ferrari F360, and a Ferrari F430 (!!!) in front of it. They start up the Diablo and the 360 (freakin' sweet) to move them out of the way but sadly just just rolled the 430 back (I asked them if they could start it and promptly got denied) to get the Elise out. Finally it was free and we went on a little spin. I tried not to hit any of the cars that cost more than my freakin' house on the way out, and away we went : )

The car is exactly as I dreamed it would be. The shifter feels nice, the engine is strong, and the suspension is simply amazing. The brakes felt a bit mushy, but there is a fix for that on the Lotus forums. Other then that, it's a spectacular car. Getting in and out is an amusing bit of fun, but it's something I could get used to ;)

Right when we get back, the salesman offers insult to injury. He's like: "Well since this black one is a left over 05... I can offer a bit of a discount... how about 5k off?"

Me: "Nooooooooo I didn't want to buy anything today!!"
Dan: "Well I don't want to force you into it, but this color combination is rare."
Me: "I know!!! *labors over it for awhile*"

Did I buy it? No. :cry: It would be a stupid financial move as my new house is getting closer to completion and I have a $2100/month mortgage looming over my head =( Man. Once the new house is built and I'm settled in... I'll be returning to claim my baby. hehe. I'm aiming for the end of summer right now to be in an Elise. Maybe when it starts getting colder next year around other areas of the country is when I'll pick one up... but for now... it remains a dream.

Oh yeah... one other thing about this car:

Nice.

·
Registered
84 Posts
damn... your insurance company _____ you!!! Not as rough as seeing the 12k/yr insurance bill some people get to ride a R1 or GSXR-1000. still... thats rough.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Devil R6 said:
damn... your insurance company _____ you!!! Not as rough as seeing the 12k/yr insurance bill some people get to ride a R1 or GSXR-1000. still... thats rough.
How so? I didn't think it's too outrageous... don't you use USAA also? The Tundra is currently $38/month and the MR2 is $67/month. The Lotus ends up costing ~$210/month full coverage, full glass which is about what my Supra cost me.

Keep in mind I'm 23 and single :p

·
Registered
84 Posts
Yea I use USAA as well. My rates doubled moving down here. Mostly cause everything i have insured are high theft items..... F-250 and both motorcycles. I guess I'm just not used to seeing a 210/mo insurance bill. haha

WTF... you can't write owned as _____?? _____ _____ _____ _____ _____ _____!!!!! hahahahahahahahahaha!!

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Expensive insurance!

Glad you had fun driving one. I'll have to take a ride in one at an autox when you get one.

I'm going with a friend today to a Subaru dealer to test drive an 05 WRX STi. I probably won't be driving it though, just tagging along. :(

·
Registered
673 Posts
MR2Fast2Catch said:
Expensive insurance!

Glad you had fun driving one. I'll have to take a ride in one at an autox when you get one.

I'm going with a friend today to a Subaru dealer to test drive an 05 WRX STi. I probably won't be driving it though, just tagging along. :(

Good luck with that. When Bennett and I went to buy his WRX they barely let us take the WRX off the lot, and laughed and the thought of us driving the STI.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
killwitten819 said:
Good luck with that. When Bennett and I went to buy his WRX they barely let us take the WRX off the lot, and laughed and the thought of us driving the STI.
lol it's all about how you present yourself.

I test drove a Porsche 911 (they didn't have a Cayman S) later in the evening after the Lotus. I used to do that for fun with my ex-gf... we'd go test drive expensive cars on boring evenings :)

·
Registered
673 Posts
So how do you "present yourself"? Act like your rich and will actually buy it?

No matter what we said and how we acted the Suby dealership said there are no test drives for STI's unless papers are signed or a deposit is made.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
killwitten819 said:
So how do you "present yourself"? Act like your rich and will actually buy it?

No matter what we said and how we acted the Suby dealership said there are no test drives for STI's unless papers are signed or a deposit is made.
Pretty much. The STi may be different because every "boy racer" wants one. The Porsche/Lotus/Aston Martin/etc dealers will just act snobbish towards you unless they think you can afford it. I usually wear a button down dress shirt, nice slacks, and nice shoes (key area here) and they'll come right up to me. Gucci sunglasses or other expensive accesories help too. If it's a sports car you may want to bring a change of shoes with you so you can take it for a test drive :smile:

P.S. The kind of car you show up in is a big indication as well. If I bought the Lotus and showed up to the Subaru dealership in it I bet I could talk them into letting me test drive the STi.

·
Registered
673 Posts
MR2 phatness said:
Pretty much. The STi may be different because every "boy racer" wants one. The Porsche/Lotus/Aston Martin/etc dealers will just act snobbish towards you unless they think you can afford it. I usually wear a button down dress shirt, nice slacks, and nice shoes (key area here) and they'll come right up to me. Gucci sunglasses or other expensive accesories help too. If it's a sports car you may want to bring a change of shoes with you so you can take it for a test drive :smile:

P.S. The kind of car you show up in is a big indication as well. If I bought the Lotus and showed up to the Subaru dealership in it I bet I could talk them into letting me test drive the STi.

We were in the freshly washed MR2.... is that not good enough ;)

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
again "boy racer" is what they might think. Most people outside the MR2 community dont understand the MR2 and how nice the car actually is. now if it were a supra...then they may think differently.

·
Registered
1,974 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah... they'll just see a sub $5k 15 yr old Toyota that's been hopped up (their worst nightmare since they know you'll drive the STi hard).

You'd be better off showing up with your fiance in a family sedan (shows how mature/stable you are ;))

·
Registered
904 Posts
MR2 phatness said:

that makes me sad i am now a "boy racer" :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts