MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Have a 91 NA MR2 with 174,000. Was running perfectly. Timing belt lost a chunk. Had it changed. Had water pump changed at same time. Now the car has half the power as before. Accelerates slowly. Has a slight miss sometimes. Gets noticably less gas mileage. Will not knock in any gear no matter how I lug it. Took it back to the shop. Two mechanics drove it and said it's ok. The car is a total dog now. One of them told me the valves might have gotten messed up when the timing belt went. I responded that it was non-interfering and he dropped the subject. It also warms up faster than before, but doesn't over heat. Hope I've posted this in the proper forum. Please help. I want my old MR2 back. Thanks. Jim

·
MR Rules....
731 Posts
It sounds like they got her out of timing by a tooth or two. If it was ok before it ate the belt and not now, thats about all it could be. I run a Toyota repair shop and have had 2.2's brough in that other shops worked on with the same complaint. Almost always the belt was installed incorrectly. It's very easy to do. and easy to correct. It is possible that the problem is unrelated
to the belt but my money in on the timing. ;)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I will bet money that the timing is ~10 degrees retarded.

I will further speculate that when the mechanic was looking at the timing mark to set cyl 1 to top dead center. I bet he was looking from directly overhead, rather than sticking his head in an uncomfortable position right next to the rear window to get the proper perspective. Thus leading to him thinking the cylinder was at TDC when in fact it was ~10 degrees before TDC.

...hence your loss in power from the timing being ~10 degrees retarded.

Just a guess though. ;)

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
Tdub said:
Is there any easy way to tell if the belt was put on incorrectly? Any noises or something to look for?
Easy way...is to set Cyl 1 to TDC via a feeler gauge...or sticking your head up near the engine lid / rear window...and looking at the timing mark on the crank pully.

Then pull the valve cover and visualy inspect the position of the cams.
If the cam lobes on Cyl 1 are not 180* opposed to each other....then the timing is off.
(Intake Cam <-- / --> Exhaust cam)

:cam: :cam:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts