MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have a 93T and took it out for a quick spin yesterday. As I was driving I thought I felt something similar to a misfire, so I immediately pulled over to check the bay.
There was nothing too untoward but I did notice a small amount steam/smoke near the coolant neck. The engine block near to the coolant neck was a bit wet but I don’t know if that is new or just old oil etc as I think it needs a head cover gasket.
anyway, I have since noticed drops on the ground where I park that have no smell but are reddish brown in colour on my finger.
The coolant level seems to have dropped in the engine bay neck as I checked it by chance before all of this and could see it under the cap but now I can’t, I have squeezed the pipes and it does appear and can hear it.
I have checked under the oil cap, no white stuff and nothing on the dipstick. Small amount of condensation (I hope) coming out the exhaust but that is the cold weather. The oil level also hasn’t risen or fallen at all.
The bottom of the sump and transmission are wet though like the side of the engine block and I think that is new.
The car is also running okay, hasn’t lost vacuum as far as I can see, gets up to temp okay and doesn’t overheat.

Any ideas?

I have ordered a compression tester, which I planned on doing anyway out of good measure.

cheers in advance

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I would pressurize the cooling system with a tester, that'll show you where the leak is. I've had good luck with this kit sold by mityvac, it isn't the only one out there that will work but it works for me. The compression test won't tell you much about a coolant leak, even a head gasket leak unless the headgasket is severely blown out. A leak down test will help you identify a headgasket failure along with many other problems.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would pressurize the cooling system with a tester, that'll show you where the leak is. I've had good luck with this kit sold by mityvac, it isn't the only one out there that will work but it works for me. The compression test won't tell you much about a coolant leak, even a head gasket leak unless the headgasket is severely blown out. A leak down test will help you identify a headgasket failure along with many other problems.

Thanks so much mate, is it easily done at home?

·
Premium Member
11,875 Posts
Keep in mind that it could be a really small leak. The event that you experienced may not be a direct leak, but a coolant blow due to a localized air bubble. If you cannot find the leak, keep monitoring your coolant level and temperature aggressively, and look for fine plumes of steam that may only appear when the engine is hot or running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Keep in mind that it could be a really small leak. The event that you experienced may not be a direct leak, but a coolant blow due to a localized air bubble. If you cannot find the leak, keep monitoring your coolant level and temperature aggressively, and look for fine plumes of steam that may only appear when the engine is hot or running.
Thank you! I have cleaned up the head around the rocker cover gasket, any loose/wet material on the engine block and taken it for a drive. There doesn’t seem to be any more leakage as of yet. The coolant level does seem to be lower than it was the first time I checked but there isn’t any on the floor or on the block. The oil level still seems to be okay, it was slightly lower after I had come back from the drive but I’m assuming there is oil still in channels around the block etc waiting to return to the sump. I’ll keep and eye on it, there isn’t any performance loss, vacuum gauge reads well, no rise or obvious temp change at operating level either.
Is it possible there was residual water on the block somewhere heating and evaporating hence the steam? And what I felt was actually a misfire?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts