MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
Both about same when hot but LWSP better when cold. I received my 98 gen 3, rev5, MR2 from Japan with 75kms (45k miles) on the clock. Trans was in great shape with no gear selection issues.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Anyone install stainless braided brake lines? Notice much difference over stock? If so, what brand did you buy? Recommendations?

·
Registered
7,763 Posts
I installed Goodridge lines many years ago when calipers were rebuilt. Also did quite a bit more work on brakes at same time so benifit hard to quantify. Overall brakes are positive and much firmer.

·
Super Moderator
2,802 Posts
Anyone install stainless braided brake lines? Notice much difference over stock? If so, what brand did you buy? Recommendations?
New rubber lines work quite well. The whole purpose of 'stainless' braided lines is that they use a Teflon tube inside to stop the hose from expanding under pressure giving a more firm direct pedal feel. The stainless braid doesn't stop the expanding, the Teflon does, the stainless braid is a protection layer for the Teflon tube.

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
Yeah, even though I have SS lines, GDII is correct, regular rubber lines are fine. SS lines are more for bragging rights.

I'm not altogether surprised that no one has mentioned replacing the strut mounts if they haven't already. That was just as much a dramatic change as new shocks for me.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Yeah, even though I have SS lines, GDII is correct, regular rubber lines are fine. SS lines are more for bragging rights.

I'm not altogether surprised that no one has mentioned replacing the strut mounts if they haven't already. That was just as much a dramatic change as new shocks for me.
What did you get to replace the strut mounts and shocks?

·
Super Moderator
5,427 Posts
I've always been a Koni man, though I love Bilsteins too (they ride a bit rougher though and are not adjustable). Like anything, if you want the best, you have to cough up some coinage.

I replaced my strut mounts when they were still available from Toyota, but I think KYB make adequate replacements.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts