MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking into buying a used second gen MR2. I have read these forums for awhile looking at the different V6 swaps out there. It seems that the most popular in this forum is the 1MZ. From what I read the 1MZ is the best for NA or for boost up to 500hp max. I read that the 3VZ is a great overall engine that may be the easiest to wire, and will handle a lot more boost than the 1MZ. So it seems that if you are willing to really tune up and boost an engine, that the 5VZ is the best. However, I do see many posts about the 2GR now.

Everyone seems to love the 1MZ. What about the 3MZ? It seems to produce a bit more power.

Would any of these V6's put be better than the 2ZZ? A friend of mine is pushing me to get a 2ZZ. I asked him about the low RPM torque the 2ZZ lacks.

I am looking for a car that has extreme acceleration. I am not really looking to drive faster than 120mph. I read all about these new sports cars moving faster than 200mph and some other supercars or hypercars going 300mph. So the analogy that I use is that I would prefer to have a Formula One type car rather than an Indy Car. I want to be able to go zero to 60 as fast as possible, with excellent handling, and superior braking. I live in Western Pennsylvania near Pittsburgh. Anyone familiar with this area will know that there are many very steep hills, very winding roads, and also many potholes due to PennDot. So I need a car that will power up these steep hills and handle these winding roads. I would love to have a ton of low to midrange rpm HP and torque. If I can have high rpm as well with it, then that would be great.

So I have basically narrowed my engine choice down to either the 5VZ or the 2GR. So it seems that the 5VZ will handle a ton of boost. I read about a guy named Mike Townzen who has a Gen 1 MR2 with a 4A-GZE inline four. This guy had a supercharger plus twin turbo chargers in his car. Now I wonder if this is true? People around here say that the 5VZ will handle a ton of boost.... now could a person triple charge(sc + twin turbos) a 5VZ powdered MR2 like this? What I am looking for is a ton of torque! Or would it be better to go up to a V8? I see that the 2GR puts out almost 100hp more than the 5VZ in stock form. Could a 2GR handle as much boost as the 5VZ in the end with any type of mods in order to extract the most HP and torque? I would prefer to have more torque in the lower RPM power band right away, but if I could have upper RPM power as well, then why not. Would another engine like the VQ35DE be better, and might work with the MR2? Or a Honda engine like the K series or C32B?

I think that I am definitely going with the 2GR though since it is one of the newest and most reliable. What kind of boost and heat can the 2GR block handle?

I understand that I am asking many questions. I also know that I am a noob too. I just want to learn more about this before I jump right in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
You need power to weight if you want good acceleration. None of the rest of the numbers matter.

Put a supercharger from a JDM Sportivo on a 2ZZ and you'll be pretty darn quick of the line.

·
Premium Member
3,539 Posts
If you're talking stock for stock, you can't beat the 2GR's power curve with anything that fits in that engine bay without some trimming.

People have been pushing the 2gr to the 450-500whp level on stock internals it seems. but comparing those kinds of numbers gets you nowhere because some people will be happy to just build boost late to show big numbers on the dyno without being useful.

In an MKII you'll never have a problem passing anything on the street without putting any boost in your 2gr.

what kind of 0-60 are you shooting for? or what kind of car are you wanting to match?

·
Registered
266 Posts
2GR is the way to go. The Vz blocks with turbo would be very heavy so handling and braking is out of the window. Your time and financial budget will determine how fast you plan on going. Mine is NA with plenty of power. If I am not doing 0-60 in 4 seconds I would be surprised. The turbo 2GR is quite capable of 900hp with 25psi with correct preparation. We have a SC 2GR in Australia with over 700hp running on E85 which is in a Lotus.Pretty sure its running 18psi. The SC engine would be lighter than the Turbo with far less plumbing and heat management issues. That's another point to consider.

·
Registered
5,832 Posts
I don't think you're ready for a MR2 with that much power, especially if you're asking those kinds of questions. The reality of it is it's very hard to build a car that can handle that kind of power and make it reliable. You're pushing those components to their absolute limit and failure is likely to happen. I guarentee you a stock 2gr swap will have all the power and torque you need, it spins tires more than you would want anyway in stock form, imagine doubling the power.

You don't mention anything about a transmission or axles which really tells me you aren't ready for this, that's the hardest part with a big power MR2, your only option is a e153.

I'll bet that as soon as you swap a 2GR in a MR2 you'll get tired of it and move on, if you want supercar accelleration buy a supercar don't try to make 30 year old Toyota into one especially as your first project. R35 GTRs are getting cheap as they get older try to find one of those and maintain it, you'll have a hard time beating one of those with a MR2 especially in reliability.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts