MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for an SW20 preferably in the SoCal area.

I'm looking for:
T-Tops
Power windows
Black interior

Anything else goes, I would like to pick up someone's project that has been sitting for a long time or something that's in relatively rough shape (non running, bad paint, etc) but still has a cleanish interior and straightish body.

Looking for something sub 3k, but show me what you got.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I've got almost exactly what you are looking for. 91 NA, T-tops, black interior/exterior, clean interior except for seat rips, and clean exterior except for flaking clear coat.
Problem is it doesn't start reliably, cranks but no spark. Starts more often when it is cold, but doesn't start consistently. It got progressively worse over the years. I've debugged some wiring, had a shop look at it, new distributor etc but still not reliable. It isn't registered/smogged due to the starting issue, in order to sell/transfer it we'd have to get that done as far as I know. I'm in NorCal. Send me a message if interested.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I've got almost exactly what you are looking for. 91 NA, T-tops, black interior/exterior, clean interior except for seat rips, and clean exterior except for flaking clear coat.
Problem is it doesn't start reliably, cranks but no spark. Starts more often when it is cold, but doesn't start consistently. It got progressively worse over the years. I've debugged some wiring, had a shop look at it, new distributor etc but still not reliable. It isn't registered/smogged due to the starting issue, in order to sell/transfer it we'd have to get that done as far as I know. I'm in NorCal. Send me a message if interested.
PM sent!

·
Registered
1985 MR2 NA, 1991 MR2 NA
9 Posts
I may be selling my '91 NA (red T-top) as well. Runs great. Engine was mostly rebuilt by a reputable shop, Mario's Import. Red paint is faded with some chips. I have black interior that is descent. I do have some wiring that needs to be fixed, but the windows work. Front tires need to be replaced. Also, car is registered and just passed smog last month. I'll send over images if interested.

·
Registered
1985 MR2 NA, 1991 MR2 NA
9 Posts
I may be selling my '91 NA (red T-top) as well. Runs great. Engine was mostly rebuilt by a reputable shop, Mario's Import. Red paint is faded with some chips. I have black interior that is descent. I do have some wiring that needs to be fixed, but the windows work. Front tires need to be replaced. Also, car is registered and just passed smog last month. I'll send over images if interested.
Oh... just realized you wanted something under 3k. I'm selling around 4k. Sorry.

·
Premium Member
3,092 Posts
Spei, there used to be a paint booth available for rent at:

6331 Cahuenga Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606
North Hollywood

I think the name was Valley Car Color. Not sure if they're still in business after all the Covid lock downs. I just called the # and it said it was disconnected. It might be worth checking out as it could save you some $$$. It's been a while since I've worked/helped on a project, I'm in Hollywood and happy to help if I can. PM me if if you'd like.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Spei, there used to be a paint booth available for rent at:

6331 Cahuenga Blvd
North Hollywood, CA 91606
North Hollywood

I think the name was Valley Car Color. Not sure if they're still in business after all the Covid lock downs. I just called the # and it said it was disconnected. It might be worth checking out as it could save you some $$$. It's been a while since I've worked/helped on a project, I'm in Hollywood and happy to help if I can. PM me if if you'd like.
Thanks for the recommendation. I am interested in painting the car myself so I'll check them out once I eventually get my hands on an SW20. Thanks!

·
Registered
288 Posts
Wait... are you going about this backward? First you had an ECU, then an engine... only now you are getting a car? LOLOL. I love it. Stephen Covey the great productivity coach said: "Always begine with the end (in mind)." Ha ha.
to be fair, 2GRs are a LOT easier to come by than cleanish SW20s. but I get your point

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Wait... are you going about this backward? First you had an ECU, then an engine... only now you are getting a car? LOLOL. I love it. Stephen Covey the great productivity coach said: "Always begine with the end (in mind)." Ha ha.
LOL I know right. My original plan was to get the 2GR first and do "R&D" with the megasquirt on it while I searched for an SW20. But now that I'm going Link I do see how I'm pretty much doing it all backwards lol.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
LOL I know right. My original plan was to get the 2GR first and do "R&D" with the megasquirt on it while I searched for an SW20. But now that I'm going Link I do see how I'm pretty much doing it all backwards lol.
To be honest, I kinda did the same thing. I had everything assembled for a swap - engine, transmission, ecu - then I decided I did not have the heart to cut up my beautiful little Spyder like a little tin can so I went looking for a SW20 and found a NA with high miles for $2,500 - plus shipping and paypal fees. I posted on this forum asking for one but it was a complete waste of time. I started looking in craigslist local listings for metropolitan areas all over until I found one. Ha ha. Ha hah aha.

PS> My seller was a 19 year-old kid who had the car passed on to him from an older aunt or grandmother who used it as a daily for 20+ years in California. He quickly realized what a dog he had with his 5s-fe with 240,000 miles and how much work it would be to turn the engine bay from a greasy tar pit into something that resembles an engine compartment so he lined up a Honda Civic purchase and was motivated to sell. He even was willing to drive the car down to the nearest sea port to load it on a barge and get it here.

·
Registered
1991 Toyota MR2
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
To be honest, I kinda did the same thing. I had everything assembled for a swap - engine, transmission, ecu - then I decided I did not have the heart to cut up my beautiful little Spyder like a little tin can so I went looking for a SW20 and found a NA with high miles for $2,500 - plus shipping and paypal fees. I posted on this forum asking for one but it was a complete waste of time. I started looking in craigslist local listings for metropolitan areas all over until I found one. Ha ha. Ha hah aha.

PS> My seller was a 19 year-old kid who had the car passed on to him from an older aunt or grandmother who used it as a daily for 20+ years in California. He quickly realized what a dog he had with his 5s-fe with 240,000 miles and how much work it would be to turn the engine bay from a greasy tar pit into something that resembles an engine compartment so he lined up a Honda Civic purchase and was motivated to sell. He even was willing to drive the car down to the nearest sea port to load it on a barge and get it here.
Nice, I guess it's all just different ways of doing things. I'm hoping to find a similar SW20 as you did. I've been searching a bunch on craigslist, facebook, offerup but to no avail. There's been a couple the past few months, but I was never quick enough.

·
Registered
1985 MR2 NA, 1991 MR2 NA
9 Posts
I can work with 4k. I am interested in some pics. What wiring needs to be fixed?
Sorry Spei, I didn't get notified that you replied. Wiring for speakers (though it maybe the radio), antenna, side view mirrors, the master lock/unlock only connects to passenger, some loose wiring above the pedals. The P/S light is on as well. I do have high mileage (284k).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts