MR2 Owners Club Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Wanted: Looking for springs to go with New KYB GR2 shocks

Looking for a set of decent after market Front springs to go with the new KYB GR2 s.
Preferably ST springs as they seems to offer reasonably good ride comfort. Interested in others too...pl let me know what you got!!!!!!
Thanks

·
Two 2s - 93T, 88 SC
2,966 Posts
If you are changing springs, I would recommend you do front and rear. With those struts I would stick with Eibach Prokits, since they don't lower it much. The ST springs are stiffer and lower, so I would recommend better performance struts with them, like Tokico Illuminas or Konis.

John

·
WWW.TECHNICALGARAGE.COM
3,626 Posts
jeebert2 said:
If you are changing springs, I would recommend you do front and rear. With those struts I would stick with Eibach Prokits, since they don't lower it much. The ST springs are stiffer and lower, so I would recommend better performance struts with them, like Tokico Illuminas or Konis.

John
Yea, I've had both KYB and Tokico blues on my car and with the ST springs, I prefer the tokico's rather than the GR2's

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
not sure about the prices for other shocks...KYB's goes for $145 shipped in ebay. I got just the front ones from ebay brand new shipped for $60.

Anyway coming back to the topic, how about existing stock springs with KYB's? Most probably this car won't see a auto-x or track day....

I am planning to have this is an occassional week end cruiser :smile: :smile: ....( I have an old Altima as daily driver and another semi street/ track GSR with Konis and GC' and some other goodies!!)

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
I think the HP's/Blues are junk. I already have one of my front's blown and they've only been in the car for a year or so. It rattles whenever I go over bumps and I confirmed that it was the shock because I took it out (when I changed to ST springs from cut ST springs) and it clunked at the top of it's rebound.

The Illuminas aren't much better either, if you want to do a lot of racing. Dan S, and Arizona MkI.5 owner, has had Illuminas for maybe half a year and the front are both blown now and are seeping oil as well.

I'm putting Koni Yellows in next time. Worth the extra bucks, IMO.

Oh, and I have some CUT front ST springs if you're interested. It will probably drop the front atleast 2 inches, close to TRD's drop on their older springs. The ride is a little harsh with them though. They were on my car when I bought them, and they were too low for my taste (too low to pull up ramps at a shop to get an alignment).

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
MR2Fast2Catch said:
I think the HP's/Blues are junk. I already have one of my front's blown and they've only been in the car for a year or so. It rattles whenever I go over bumps and I confirmed that it was the shock because I took it out (when I changed to ST springs from cut ST springs) and it clunked at the top of it's rebound.

The Illuminas aren't much better either, if you want to do a lot of racing. Dan S, and Arizona MkI.5 owner, has had Illuminas for maybe half a year and the front are both blown now and are seeping oil as well.

I'm putting Koni Yellows in next time. Worth the extra bucks, IMO.

Oh, and I have some CUT front ST springs if you're interested. It will probably drop the front atleast 2 inches, close to TRD's drop on their older springs. The ride is a little harsh with them though. They were on my car when I bought them, and they were too low for my taste (too low to pull up ramps at a shop to get an alignment).
you think????
i've had them (Tokico HP's) for three years (again) and only now am having troubles. they're fine. they survived 3 years of me going to Canada and driving on-track @ Shannonville, they've held-up on numerous (3 years worth) of autocrosses, and three years of me daily driving...lots of on/off ramps, and lots of fun around town. they've had more than adequate damping and still provided good (never harsh) around-town manners (ladies love this!).

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.