MR2 Owners Club Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Any suggestions? I was REALLY set on Work Equips, but since I can't find them for under $600 each (which is still outside of my budget), I'd like to get some lightweight 5 point wheels. I know Enkei RC5's are pretty nice (to give you a feel for my style). I play on using a 215 in front and 235 in the rear, so I'm guessing 7" and 8" wheels? What offset range should I be looking at?

Thanks,

-G-

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
well since I owned them I'd say Racing Sparco NT-R's are a good option (NoSirItsAToyota has them also). They come in 17x7 and 17x8 with proper offset for the MR2. I think the 17x8's were only like 15 lb each. Oh and BTW they are very stong too, I ran over a 4" high curb and didn't bend the wheel at all.

~bob~

I'll post pics of them once i find them.

*edit* found a picture

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
If you're alright with OEM wheels the 300ZX TT wheels are 16x7.5"f and 16x8.5"r, in the correct offset, and weigh 16lbs front and 17lbs rear. And they're cheaper than $600 A SET ;)

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
have you looked at used equips? they go for a little under a grand on a regular basis.

no good sizing for the rc5.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Stealth2: Yes, those wheels look very nice. Know any good places to pick up a set and approximate price?

stilesg57: Are these the kind of wheels you mean: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=7951250716&category=66482

EL PAALO: Yes, I have tried to find used equips on takumi, wheelchoice, and ggarageusa. I do see them pop up, but generally in the wrong offset or all the same width or 18". I'd LOVE to get some work equips though...

-G-

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Have you looked at Gram Lite 57C's at all? They are lightweight, five spoke, and are somewhat under the 600 a wheel you are looking at for the Equips.

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts

·
Registered
765 Posts
hey EL PAALO do you sell the A-TECH wheels? I checked that website but they're only offering the 17x7. Do you know if they're any good?(meaning how tough)

·
Registered
1,283 Posts
FYI: ATech wheels are the same as MB-motorsports wheels sold by DiscountTire Direct HERE

DAMN THEM thou for having such poor offests to choose from!
I would pickup a set of 17" weapons in a second if they had a decent offset for the back!

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found a picture of NoSirItsAToyota's car and it looks good with those wheels.

More pics

I'm still debating though. What would be the best fitment with those wheels and what size of tires? EL PAALO, you said you would do 17x9 on the rear, with 245/35's or 40's? I thought that 17x8 with 235's was good. How much difference would that make? I don't currently plan on hitting any huge HP (250ish to the wheels would be fine).

What about the front? I see a lot of people with 205 or 215, so I was planning on 215, but how much difference does that make on the "feel" of the car?

Those A-Tech wheels do look nice. Keep adding any suggestions. I really appreciate all of it :)

-G-

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
thinner tires on wider wheels will give better feel. wider tires will give more ultimate grip. just depends on what you want. also, the larger the stagger front to rear in tire sizes the more the balance of the car is changed ... 225/35 17 front and 235/40 17 rear would tend towards oversteer and 205/40 17 front with 255/40 17 rear would tend more towards understeer. It's not that the car will necessarily oversteer/understeer too much, just that the balance is changing in that direction depending on tire size choices.

I like the 9 rear because it allows more options, like 255's if needed in the future, and because it stretches smaller tires like 235 and 245 (more than an 8) to give larger/better contact patches and better feel. I like 205's for a 7" front for feel, but that is the direction I typically go for personal preference. For a street car or street wheel/tire setup I prefer better feel vs more ultimate grip (to a certain extent .... 185's would feel better, but that's a bit extreme).
for the ntr, I would do the 17x7 +40 with 205/40 17 and the 17x9 +45 with 245/35 17.

The ATech's look good and if somebody has them in mr2 sizing the price is certainly right.

·
Registered
765 Posts
with that said. Would the 17X7 5-114.3 43 front and 17X8 5-114.3 42 rear be ok? Those are the closes the MB wheels have for the MR2, I'm broke so just trying to get some cheap wheels.

·
Registered
27,751 Posts
I just received my Kosei's today ... they seem to be plenty light and they are 5-spoke.

·
Registered
1,597 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
"225/35 17 front and 235/40 17 rear would tend towards oversteer and 205/40 17 front with 255/40 17 rear would tend more towards understeer."

It seems like a fatter tire in the rear would give more grip and thus more oversteer. This isn't the case?

It looks like I will be melting the credit card after this weekend (first gotta see if I can get the leather finally put on my seats, then I'll order the wheels). If anyone has other opinions, you better speak up quick!

And Jeff, you really ought to learn to count... unless you plan on doing 4 seconds in the quarter somehow ;) Haha, actually I did see those K1 Racing wheels and they are nice, but I think 5-spoke tends to be a bit more sporty.

-G-

·
PRON is teh winnar!
9,684 Posts
shouldn't be crackin' on him for not being able to count when you can't tell left from right (oversteer/understeer). :p

understeer = lack of traction up front = plowing
oversteer = lack of traction in rear = your ass kissing your face

1 - 20 of 47 Posts